WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
tip THIS COW!
(teapot by Gary Rith)
From an article on the science of COW TIPPING:
Cow tipping is the supposed rural activity of sneaking up on an upright sleeping cow and pushing it over for amusement. Some variants of this urban legend state that the cow is then unable to get up. The appeal of this myth derives from the belief that cows are slow-witted and top-heavy, and the corollary assumption that relatively little force would need to be applied to the top of such apparently precarious ruminants to tip them over.
1 Evidence that cow tipping is an urban myth
There is no evidence aside from (mostly unreliable) eyewitness reports that any cows have ever been tipped in this manner. In addition, there are a number of problems with typical accounts of cow tipping. Unlike horses, cows do not 'lock their legs' when they sleep. Most of their sleep is very light and easily disturbed - typical of herd prey animals. They take short naps at regular intervals throughout a 24 hour period, which means that at any given time, some members of the herd are aware and alert. The vision field of a cow is larger than that of a human, and they have acute senses of hearing and smell. Cows are not easy to sneak up on, and quickly communicate to the rest of the herd that something is amiss.
Cows are large, and would be a challenge even for several people to tip over. A grown cow can be over 5 feet high with a mass of on the order of 700 kg (1,500 pounds) and sometimes reaching 900kg. By way of comparison, a typical sumo wrestler masses only 140 kg (310 lb). The four corners of a large domestic refrigerator (or a small European car) fairly closely approximate the spread of a cow's legs. If the refrigerator were cut down to five feet, filled with 400kg of lead weights, and placed in a muddy field, tipping it would offer a comparable challenge to tipping a cow.
Finally, attempting to tip a cow is a patently dangerous activity. Despite the animal's reputation for being placid and slow-moving, a cow is easily capable of hurting someone when provoked or nervous; a herd of cows or a bull (not always easily distinguished in the dark) would be even more dangerous.
Some versions of the cow tipping story attempt to evade these objections by claiming, for example, that although cows lie down to dream, they can still doze while standing. Others appeal to a paper published by the University of British Columbia's Zoological Physics department, which calculates that, given a sudden push, as few as five people could reasonably topple a cow.
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- April = Awesome!
- 4 years ago today!
- le pigs
- the KITTEN haiku:
- "cats don't eat peanut butter, do they?"
- BENJI, Penny and GEORGES go commando....
- the VERY windy day...
- "are you hawt mama? you sure look that way to me..."
- "YESS! YESSS!"
- so ends a SASSY week....
- the lady takes a (brief) vacation
- "GOD, you're subjecting people to so much...": the...
- absolutely nothing of interest will happen today *
- I AM A WINNER and bamf
- "you're not growing a SOUL PATCH are you?"
- GOSH my life is so thoroughly boring....
- springtime, when a young monkey's heart turns to s...
- piggy gear....
- le WOLF: the moooovie
- I AM A KITCHEN GOD
- it usually snows on the first day of spring :)
- beagle teapot
- a gang of women and Georges Le Soq
- oh no, BECKY JO!!!!
- NOT gonna tell the squashed frog joke....
- the year of the TAT
- "ITS ALL ABOUT ME!"
- Benji, ME, Georges Le Soq, Missus O'Leary...
- "DON'T BLOG THIS!"
- oh GEORGES....
- tip THIS COW!
- BUY STUFF
- le interview
- the USUAL Friday thang...
- GIDDYUP Georges and Penny: the most important pos...
- Cows, Collins, Chapterhouse....
- the TEAPOT and girlfriend story
- scenes from the day, except you already know about...
- Georges Le Soq + DENTIST = !!!!!
- "just lie back and this won't hurt a bit"
- and the Oscar for best 7 minute pottery interview ...
- Spike and Emily Cats: NOT a fight to the death
- Friday revisited?
- a day that started at 2:28
- art road trip with Benji and Christi
- le roadtrip, part ONE with Georges Le Soq and Benji
- "you've got Ferret hair!"
- BE COOL
- Le Pennster....
- Benji the painter, ETC.
- Spike, Penny, other bits and pieces
- BENJI's paintings
- le cats!
- Mad potter
- BUSTER the black lab and why I put animals onto po...
- scenes from a Sunday :)
- ▼ March (60)