Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, March 11, 2010

the TEAPOT and girlfriend story

OK, so back in 1983 or 1984? I was a college student studying art, especially clay, alright? My GF at the time, I was a freshman who had snagged a senior because you KNOW I had a thing for the older ladies (missus is 6-7 years older than me, HAWT! Like Mrs Robinson!) ahem, anyway, so this senior GF of mine is looking at some of the brown lumps my classmates were calling ART and sez:
"nobody should be able to graduate from this program unless they can make a dripless teapot" and it kinda stuck with me. Teapots are one of those challenges---you have a lot of elements to coordinate properly. BUT as you know they also represent a chance to get whimsical. The whole Mad Hatter's tea party sort of thing---teapots can be ANYTHING. Even a pink cow.
Oh, and that same GF, the influential one? One day we were walking down the street in Chicago and bumped into an aquaintance of mine who is all friendly and cheerful and the GF sez:
"I bet she is the one who becomes the next Mrs Rith". And a month later GF and I broke up, 6 months later me and the aquaintance started to date and were married ten months after that and here we are :)

(teapot by Gary Rith)

Dig the little animals in this.

16 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Such a cute story Gary!!!
So, are your pots dripless???

denis said...

great story. the GH definitely sensed the strong attraction between you too. and what's so cool about it is it hasn't gone away.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

i would say pretty much dripless in general :)

Anonymous said...

that's a pretty amazing story... you must've been throwing out some strong vibes if she was able to know that just from witnessing a conversation

Unknown said...

Isn't fate nice when it works the way you want it to? Very nice story, and beautimus teapot and tiny teapot. :)

Lori Buff said...

Great story, and nice teapot. What do you do to make them dripless?

Cheryl said...

What a lovely story with a happy ending! Yay!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

what do I do? I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.....

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

Great little story!

Hmmm, Pink Cow, eh? ;-)

fiwa said...

You know -that was a profound statement, actually both of them were. How funny that she predicted the future Mrs. Potter.

cindy shake said...

Must have been those teapot pheromones... Love the teapot with the mini me on top!!

Reverend Awesome said...

That's great! Great story.
You know what I think you should do one day? I'll tell you what I think!
I think you should have Maude guest post on your blog. Special Feature, Maude blogs.

Di said...

Wow, she would have scared me too much to date her. Well, I'm not really attracted to women and all that but how could she tell??? Nope, she would have messed with my head just too much ...

Gary's third pottery blog said...

She WAS Scary :)
I gotta tell this to Maude--tell her to put together a post. Good idea :)

Amy said...

So, I really like that glaze combo in the pic at the top-- the yellow with the blue...

Nicki said...

Great story, Gary, but you make me feel old. I was having children by 84. LOL!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.