Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, August 29, 2013

the BEST squash of your life is PALEO


("why does gary eat everything with chopsticks???? and why is he so lazy about capitalizing?????")

I am not a food faddist or a dieter, but I am one of the trickiest eaters on earth.  You know, the whole vegetarian no-dairy but sometimes bakes with eggs and gluten-free thing.  People like to understand your eating and categorize you.  So, they can look at me and conclude "long description, which boils down to he eats lawn clippings and twigs". Not true!  I eat squash also! Then those same people are like "pffft, no way I would ever invite that weirdo to MY house.  And I sure wouldn't want to eat at THEIR place..."  but OH, what you are missing...

So, you hear about low-carb diets or paleo diets and lose the muffin top or go gluten-free because you'll lose the belly fat and BOTH promise you'll have glowing, clear skin! Do you get a puppy with that too?

ANYWAY, I came across a PALEO recipe the other day after BOTH of my neighbors across the street, Terri Anne and Allison, gave me these huge yellow footballs.  Pretty things, great color:  summer squash!

Paleo is basically "eat bugs, berries and raw meat like a caveman!" or something like that.
Many of the ideas are  quite good:  watch out for modern over prepared, overly refined, overly manufactured UNnatural foods, eat a lot of good fruit and veggies and nuts.
OK, so this brilliant and simple squash recipe? (click here to see)  Basically, shred squash and zuccini with onion, fry it in olive oil for awhile, dump in a pile of spices and tomatoes, plunk meatballs down on top of it and bake for a half hour:  BRILLIANT and shockingly delicious, and oh soooo easy.... we used vegan-gluten-free "meatballs" and cooked a  little corn spaghetti to go on the side...I was SHOCKED at how good this dish was, a great use for late summer veggie abundance...

5 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

That looks much tastier than lawn clippings! You do come up with the best recipes using healthy stuff; love that.
I'm planting gobs of yellow squash in a few weeks....you should see my baby seeds sprouting; gorgeous!

RachelD said...

Simply SALIVATIOUS. What a beautifully tempting dish, and you just KNEW that I have three pounds of tee-ninecy straight-necks and four handsome patty-pans in the fridge drawer, didn't you?

And the "glowing skin" bit---I've always noticed that you and Mrs. T. always seem to be lit by such a lovely light, as if you're waiting for your close-up, Mr. DeMille.
I HAVE attributed it to your healthful cooking (and clean mind, true heart, etc., plus running after lively happy dogs is a refreshing therapy, in itself).

And does Kitty get a share? Ours was always mad for vegetables, burying her face in the squash or greens, and purring every bite.

rachel

smalltownme said...

I love squash and tomatoes together. Spike says, Where's mine???

Vicki Wenderlich said...

You need this: http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tri-Blade-Spiral-Vegetable-Slicer/dp/B006THC75E

It is AMAZING and I make spaghetti out of zucchini and summer squash like three times a week (pasta is my favorite food, but trying to eat less wheat).

It's super easy and fast and you just saute the noodles for a few mins and top with sauce and meatballs or my fave, GimmeLean veggie sausage...

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Yum! My 20yo is a Paleo diet kind of guy, which he mostly managed all summer long while cooking food for 300 Boy Scouts (definitely NOT Paleo fare). EB eats a ton of veggies and likes his meat cooked. :)

We're big on spaghetti squash in place of noodles but here right now it's all about the zucchini and yellow summer squash and new crop of beans and tomatoes!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.