Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, August 26, 2013

speaking of HOT STUFF



(pottery by Gary Rith)
Oh yes, many good things in the kiln yesterday, mm hmmmmm...I am in love with this color scheme:  blue jeans inside, nice spring green on the outside.  The wife tells me "nice dynamic shapes on those mugs! Hot stuff!"

Speaking of which, have you ever been at the hair salon reading PEOPLE or one of those magazines?  And seen a recipe in there, an actor's favorite recipe?  I saw one a few months ago for a HOT PEPPER PESTO and have been itching to make it.  The wife tells me "it is not like other pestos, but then again, "pesto" is Italian for "paste", so anything goes I guess" (the lady has lived and worked in Italy). And I am like "right, no lemon juice, pine nuts or parmesan".

It is dead easy and super wonderfully tasty.  You can keep the large jar in the fridge, good for several pots of pasta or pizza.  I have been growing basil all summer, and we were at our favorite farm Saturday getting peaches to make jam and bought the "hot pepper mix".  A box of unidentified hot peppers.

I tell the wife later "when I think about it, this is terrifying!  What are these, how hot????" and we realize we have a poblano and banana pepper, which we pull out to cook with, 4-5 jalapenos and a HABANERO and an unidentified long thing... we used 4 jalapenos and the habanero:  HOT mix, but not too hot for this :)

Chili pesto
2 cups lightly packed basil leaves
1 cup serrano peppers (about 10) stemmed (we used 5 larger peppers, 4 hot and one VERY hot)
2 garlic cloves
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil)
one cup extra virgin olive oil

Chop ingredients on a cutting board or use a food processor and chop well.  Then pour into a pint jar and stir in one cup olive oil.  WE FOUND that in our blender it was easier to just blend everything together with the oil in one step.  It is soooooo gooooood.....


9 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

OH- Mama! HOT HOT HOT!

I love what you did with the kitchen hole, what a grand idea for fixing it.
Cute!

Anonymous said...

I admire your creativity with cooking.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely mugs...I like the proportions of tiny animals for a mug...seems like a delightful way to sip morning brew.

Michèle Hastings said...

Sounds delicious, I may give it a try. I would have to use less habanero, love the taste but too much give me hiccups!

Mrs. Potsblog said...

I'm glad the cat helped.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

It never occurred to me to put hot peppers in pesto. What a good idea. I made cilantro pesto last week. The very last of which is going into potato salad for dinner tonight. Also a roasted tomato pesto which was fabulous on cheese ravioli.

Do you get GF noodles now? How are you enjoying your pesto?

smalltownme said...

I like moderately spicy food but I admit to being a chile wimp.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Look at you; spicy hot in the kitchen!!
I do love the mug color combo too; very nice!

gz said...

We've just bought some chilli salsa that has strawberries instead of tomatoes...VERY hot and more-ish!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.