Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, August 5, 2013

chasing BEEs and what to do with all that kale...

You hear that kale is this nutritional powerhouse, it can save the world!  And you look at the numbers and it is impressive:  a veggie full of LOTs of the usual vitamins and minerals like spinach or broccoli, but with loads of calcium and iron too. You also hear that up until recent generations, humans ate a LOT of it.
But man, it sure is a bitter and tough item, you know?  I love broccoli and spinach but kale has been hard to get used to.  First, I find most kale UGLY.  That is my hangup:  it looks like a weed by the roadside.  Ssecond, it is tough and bitter, so how to prepare?  I find spinach wonderful in many ways, as a salad green raw or cooked any way I want.  BUT, my 2 breakthroughs on kale have been a)  think of it as flattened broccoli (they are related) and cook thataway---steamed, stirfried, whatever and b)  find PRETTY kale.  I was given a bunch that was green with purple veins!  At the store they have red leaf kale, soooo lovely!

OK, so I have some good recipes, and this pad Thai is out OF THIS world, click here for recipe.  And since it uses nutritional yeast and peanut, with the kale it is probably the most nutritious meal on EARTH, yet wicked delicious (I use rice noodles, gf! use 6-8 oz any noodle you want)


In other news, the wife canNOT believe I grow beautiful sunflowers in pots out front...they do SO well. Yesterday I saw bees all over our flowers and snapped a couple of pics...have an awesome Monday!
 

10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Happy Monday...love the bees, the kale not so much!

Lori Buff said...

Kale is awesome for you and is not tough when prepared well, which is pretty easy. The recipes sound delicious, I'll have to try them. You can find some others on my Meatless Monday blog posts.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I love kale. My favorite dish has chicken so NOOOO, not for you. But I do also love kale in bean soup. This recipe might be my second favorite dish and it is VEGAN!!! Hope this link works, if not go to IK and look for sweet potato & kale soup. Jim loved it and had no idea it was good for you too.

http://idiotskitchen.com/index.php/2011/11/sweet-potato-kale-soup/

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I forgot to mention those glorious sunflowers! State flower of Kansas so perfect for your wife (although most of us KC folks are from the Missouri side of things...oh well, close enough.) It has been SO rainy here that my plants are all soggy. The weeds, however, love it.

smalltownme said...

I just bought some kale for the first time...thanks for the great idea.

knittergran said...

I just listened to a story on NPR about the new "fake" beef, made from muscle and cow stem cells. Something like that. Sounds awful and I can't figure out WHY anyone would make such a thing---supposed to be a cure for world hunger.
With so many good veggies, and even real meat for those who like it, why make fake stuff?

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You've been busy as a bee! :)
I love the green soup (hot or cold) that my husband makes with kale. He cuts out the tough stems/veins at the base of the leaf, so maybe that is why I like it?

We have sunflowers this year, thanks to my dh, but yours are so very pretty!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Kale isn't the easiest thing to make delish. Bee's and sunflowers??? two of my favorite things. Enjoy!

Becky Brown said...

That kale pad thai looks AWESOME - thank you!

Michèle Hastings said...

I never cared for kale because I always had it from the grocery store. If you grow your own and eat it when it's young and fresh, it's not nearly as tough. It gets tough when it hangs around after being picked.
When it was in season here in NC I would saute it and drop it into lots of things for an extra vitamin boost. It's great in spaghetti sauce.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.