Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, August 2, 2013

olde world family torte made GLUTEN FREE!


It is for real: you know a month or so ago it dawned on me that maybe the reason I have had a stomachache for 3 years was wheat or gluten and the first day I was without was a pleasure...the change was THAT fast, a normal belly! No agony!
I wondered on the weekend WTF was wrong.  All of this is still new to me, and I wondered about the return of the agony.  After 2 days it eased.
I was at the store buying a new jar of mole sauce, tasty Mexican chocolate-peppers sauce which we had used for enchiladas Saturday.  With leftovers.  Anyway, there was a jar I had not seen before, and I thought it looked cute and read the label and HOLY CATS they make it with BREAD CRUMBS? I checked the jar we had used, sure enough, that company makes mole sauce with wheat too.  My body sure noticed it.  

Anyway, I have posted the wife's family torte recipe quite a few times.  It belonged to the German grandmother originally, and this card came from the aunt who served me that family plum torte before the wife and I got married, and she shared the recipe with me, 20 some years ago.  It is simple and rich and delicious.  I have made it with oat flour instead of wheat for gluten free relatives, and it is still really good.  
But then I realized that the success is really in the berries on top of a rich cake, NOT rocket science, and the original recipe has a lot of that OLDE WORLD fat, to be honest.  So, make that if you like, but HERE is a killer version, wicked healthy!  GLUTEN free!  I invented it, after horsing around.  Sure, 2 eggs in there, but brown rice flour is a very good whole grain.  The first time I tried it was good, but needed...something.  Needed more richness and less dryness, and vegetarian bakers know that apple sauce is your friend!  HUZZAH!  Perfect.
The wife tells me she has totally forgotten the family version, MINE IS BETTER.****


****
Gary's gluten free berry torte!

1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 TBS  (+ one TBS sugar reserved for the top)
2 tsp baking powder
dash salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk (I use soy)
1/4 cup canola oil
2/3 cup applesauce
about one cup blueberries, sliced apple or plum etc.
____
 
-preheat oven to 350
-grease 9 inch torte pan or 8 x 8 brownie pan
-combine first 4 dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl
-beat the 2 eggs in a second bowl, then add the milk, oil, applesauce, stir nicely then add to dry ingredients and stir it ALL nicely until mostly smooth
-pour batter into greased pan, top with an even layer of fruit and then sprinkle the 3rd TBS of reserved sugar on top

4 comments:

smartcat said...

You come up with such great gluten free variations on regular recipes that I tell gluten-fee friends about your blog.
This one looks so delicious. Enjoy the week end.

Lori Buff said...

That sounds delicious.

smalltownme said...

Wow, I can almost taste it through the screen. The juxtaposition of that tasty torte and your t-shirt is just great!

Sandi McBride said...

my older son is a gluten free guy because of his problem with wheat, and I am always looking for recipes...thanks for this can't wait to try it
Sandi

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.