Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, August 23, 2013

blackberries are gluten-free!



Many of you will recall that I had a stomachache for a few years, lost a ton of weight I did not need to lose that made me go from thin to almost scary thin, low iron levels, foggy head, all that sh!t.  Last month, ONLY JUST LAST month, having tried many things, I took wheat out of my diet and WHOA! That was it.
Not sure yet whether it will turn out to be celiac or just a wheat allergy or non-celiac gluten-sensitivity, but one step at a time and figure it out with the doctor....

BUT anyway, I feel MAGNIFICENT now.
I was telling you yesterday that my niece picked a BOATload of blackberries over at my mom and dad's farm.  (well, it was a farm once, trees and bunnies and wild blackberries now)

I had enough to make gluten-free blackberry scones and blackberry crisp!!!! (like apple crisp but with blackberries..) Not everybody likes blackberries but I love them.
I baked gluten-free bread too, having experimented with different recipes I have come up with my own rather fantastic 4 different bread recipes, this one is a quick sandwich bread, no yeast or rising or kneading ****

For the berry scones I used Nicole Hunn's GLUTEN-FREE ON A SHOESTRING cookbook (she blogs every day too:  a favorite blog of mine and DEF. my new favorite cookbook click here).
Basically, anybody who makes scones can simply do this:  freeze a cup of blackberries (or whatever you like) then roll them in a little flour and mix them into your scone recipe.
I also top all of my scones with either cinnamon or nutmeg mix with a spoon full of sugar, which I sprinkle on top of hot just baked scones---GAWDAMN that is tasty!

And for the crisp:  this is not rocket science!
FROM:

Directions

  • Place blackberries in a greased 1-qt. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Pour over berries. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over berries.
  • Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 2 servings.





****
Gary's quick multi-grain sandwich bread

3 cups all purpose GF flour OR 1 cup GF all purpose flour, 1 cup oat flour and 1 cup brown rice flour
1 1/2 teas xanthan gum
1/4 cup moleasses
2 1/2 teas baking powder
1 teas baking soda
dash salt
6 tbs butter or marg
1 1/2 cup milk or soy milk in my case
2 teas vinegar
large flax egg:  mix 1 1/2 tbs ground flax with 3 1/2 tbs warm water, set aside a few minutes
2-3 tbs rolled oats

-Make the flax egg in a small bowl or cup, grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and preheat oven to 350
-In a large bowl stir flour, xanthan gum, salt, bake powder and soda
-add the butter or marg and use a pastry cutter to cut it in, making it like crumbly peas
-add milk and vinegar, flax egg and stir in moleasses
-scrape dough into the loaf pan, smooth the top with a knife, use your hand to sprinkle oats on top and push them in gently----OR use sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or some oil and dried herbs!
-bake 40 minutes, then turn the oven down to 325  and rotate the pan 180 degrees, and bake another 40-45 minutes, check with a toothpick to make sure it is done--let bread cool in pan 30 minutes, then take it out to finish cooling on a wire rack, YUM!




6 comments:

bartster said...

Glad you found a path to feeling healthier and with more energy! That's great. These recipes might have to be compiled into a Gary's Greatest Hits, eh?

Anonymous said...

Those are some marvelous looking berries & baked goods. Glad you're feeling better. Incredible how diet can affect SO MUCH of our health.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Cool! I'm sending my GF friends here for recipes. These all look fabulous...especially the scones. I've added that book to my wish list even though I'm not GF (yet...my stomach is always fairly unhappy so I'm now wondering if that isn't part of the problem.)

Can you send me a link to your new GF pizza that you posted a while back? I can't seem to find it. I think the crust was made with polenta??? Or am I just crazy and making this up?

Michèle Hastings said...

Glad you are feeling better! Blackberry scones sound delicious.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Man, I'm sorry you've been suffering for so long. I know several others who have been in that same boat and have come to the same conclusions. I'm just glad you can still make food that makes you happy! And your happiness spreads to all of us. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

How awesome is that recipe???
I'm so glad you are feeling fantastic now; who would have thought wheat could do that to a person???

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.