I don't work big too often. I remember when I was a student "work bigger!" said the instructors and other macho student types were like "OH I can make a pot bigger than a hippo!" and I might say "I can make a hippo." A little one, anyhow!
I have made pots and shown them here that are nearly 2 feet tall. They are sitting in the studio with BIG price tags...no takers yet, which is fine, because I like them :)
But, you know, I like the cute little things, my kiln is small, and I dig making cute little gems, as you hear me say, especially cute little teapots.
The pic below shows a very large bowl on my head that just came out of the kiln AND it may be hard to tell, a very tall jar, just made at the left of the picture.
I was like "I open a box of spaghetti, boil some up, then set the rest back on the shelf. Every time I reach up there half of the noodles try to slide out. I could buy a tall glass jar for the counter to hold spaghetti ......OR....!!!!".
Make a tall and narrow spaghetti jar for myself....I made this, and it IS cute...but then later I checked it against actual spaghetti....which turns out to be dissappointingly taller than I thought! I don't think this will be big enough, RATS.
I shall make another...
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- pottery FOR A CHANGE!
- the BEST squash of your life is PALEO
- THE WALK
- 2 best (and worst!) words in the English language...
- speaking of HOT STUFF
- that game of cat and MOUSE...
- I'm not getting repetitive am I?
- blackberries are gluten-free!
- hey diddle diddle...
- a rare family post....
- BIG pots...
- oh my...
- this chair is cat approved....
- "little pitchers have big ears"
- Gallery fortyone....
- a long and windy post about CATs, CUSTOMers and 'QUE
- purple tarts with pink b00bies??!!
- the all-POTTERY post you have been waiting for....
- that dog, that house!
- in which decorative objects are either SEXY or fun...
- KILLER BEAGLE
- a FLOOD! and other things....
- making TEMPEH tasty....
- probably the CORGI PLAYGROUP is more cute....
- the wife tells me: "post the hippo!"
- everybody loves BUNNIES...
- chasing BEEs and what to do with all that kale...
- the tiny road trip....
- thanks to YOGI...
- olde world family torte made GLUTEN FREE!
- almost famous...?
- ▼ August (32)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Big blue bowl is gorgeous...and you can always turn it over and shield your brain from alien mind reading rays.
Maybe you could put rigatoni in it and then make a taller one for long spaghetti....it could be the "over the shoulder noodle holder" collection
I LIKE THE BIG BOWL! (had to put that in big letters)
I think Trudy's idea is a good one!
I LIKE THE BIG BOWL TOO! You know I have a thing for bowls. Very, very tempting.
I think there may be a story in there somewhere.....Gary and the Big Blue Bowl! I like the spaghetti
jar.....but how is it that spaghetti always seems to grow taller once it's out of the box?
Post a Comment