Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
I told Kasey my New Year's resolution was "more punk in 2011!". What does that mean? Keith Richards has a skull ring. The Offspring's first album: a flaming skull. That is pretty punky to my mind. Also heavy metal (think Iron Maiden!)and goth---goths are all black, skully, halloweeny.
But why does anybody like skulls? Just so you can seem badass?
I was with a friend at a store the other day looking at this huge skull bracelet. It is pretty awesome, but Jacci was all shivers and like "what is the appeal???".
I have to admit that as an artist sometimes you don't think a lot, you are just making designs that appear appealing--if it looks good, you're doing it. You're having fun and it looks good. Half my work lately is the usual bright and cute, the other half? As Johnny Cash said of his closet: 'its dark in there'.
There is a large blog spot called Skull a day featuring skulls in art and nature or even beer foam etc that I am submitting work to. Like this wicked excellent teapot, also for sale at my etsy gallery.....
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 6:21 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- lapin, lapin, lapin: year of the RABBIT
- rock OUT
- a wee warm fuzzy
- misbehavior and misdemeanors.....
- the gizmo
- BIGFOOT, c'est moi
- talking about BLISS...
- wherein the wife goes out of town, Spike goes all ...
- even when the wife is out of town she STILL steals...
- the wife goes to Kansas and....
- NINJA KITTEH kicks some yarn in the azz.....
- extreme bliss
- STILL stinky
- crispy fritters with a crispy critter
- American Chop Suey made VEG by a rude French Sock ...
- "CM looks like a movie star..."
- Holy cats!
- "my job is very boring I'M AN OFFICE CLERK!"
- how do you draw yourself?
- BADAZZ baking with Georges and Georgine....
- partying with 2 cats, several chickens, Benji and ...
- sometimes I have to steal my kisses from you.....
- the wife's belly
- back in the saddle, or drawer, again....
- lucky new year
- tea party with Christi, Georges Le Soq, Kasey, Pe...
- wait till the wife sees THIS
- Emily kitty had 99 lives: 1994-2011
- I wouldn't trust this guy....
- badass tall teapot
- old and new.....
- 2010: was it the Year of the Sock Monkey?
- ▼ January (34)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
one of my favorite songs by The Cure!
i have two real skulls hanging in my living room... one is a long horned goat species and the other looks like it could be a cow.
The image of the skull is about just that, the image. Not an actual bone that once was a piece of a body. I mean, I guess that is kind of cool in itself but the image is more about representing something tough. I don't see a heart ring and think eww bloody organ. I think that person is representing love. I see a skull and I think tough. I believe that is what you are doing. Badass teapots!
I love it, Gary. More skulls is a resolution I can get behind.
Your skull and heart teapot was prominently displayed at my wedding. It was up next to the guest tree. I should send you pictures! DUH! Why haven't I don't that?! Let me go look and see if we have some good ones.
I had a few of my yarn favors in it.
Skulls are creepy...but yours are not. :)
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song.
Skullz can be wicked fun and not creepy at all :) Thanks for all your comments!!!!!
Love the Cure, they rock, and love the skulls. I like skulls, why not? lol lol :) They are interesting and cool.
Post a Comment