Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, January 17, 2011

crispy fritters with a crispy critter






You can see twas the usual most excellent weekend.
You have the oven going, baking the apple crisp, and LOOK AT SPIKE. Yes, I know, prolly the biggest cat you have ever seen in your life, true, but he suddenly wants to nap on the oven when you're baking something....smart on the one hand, rude on the other hand....

Speaking of RUDE, my rotton French sock monkey Georges Le Soq is like, slicing and dicing and baking up a storm yesterday.
He is like "mon ami, dis easy American thing, zis apple, how you say, CRISP, ees most tasty, no?" and I am like "why yes, tis awesome" and together we made some for breakfast (recipe below--tres easy). The recipe comes from an office where the wife worked years ago. They would share dishes potluck style on Fridays, and this sh!thead she worked with brought this one day. The wife brought some home and I was blown away. The sh!thead was nice enough to share the recipe, so I guess she wasn't ENTIRELY awful :)





apple crisp
-preheat to 375
-chop 4 apples, stir them together in baking dish with 2 tbs. sugar
-in bowl add 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 c flour, sprinkles of nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves plus 4 tbs butter or marg----use a knife or pastry thing to cut it all together into a nice crumbly mix
--top the apples with the crumbly mix, bake about 25 minutes, WICKED GOOD!

13 comments:

Tonya Lynn said...

oh yum! i love apple crisp! growing up my mom made batches of it all the time. i'll have to ask her why she stopped because it is a crime! i love a nice warm scoop of it over some cinnamon ice cream

(i just buy vanilla ice cream - let it soften - throw it into a big mixing bowl - throw in some cinnamon - mix it - throw it back in the container and freeze until i want to eat it.)

mmm... soooo good. especially when the warmth of the crisp starts to melt the ice cream a bit. i'm definitely making this next weekend.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

My boys are still asleep. Do you think I should make apple crisp for breakfast? Or maybe some apple pancakes...

Gary's third pottery blog said...

here is the sneaky thing: let's say your apples are getting a little old or bruised? Not so tasty to eat just as they are??? WELL, they can redeem themselves and taste awesome when you bake them into something!

Michèle Hastings said...

spike is HUGE, especially when we see him in relationship to the range!

Lori Buff said...

This recipe is right on time, we're having guests for dinner tonight. Thanks Gary

Jay said...

I love apple crisp! I should make that sometime soon.

gz said...

I'd call that apple crumble!
I make mine with half rolled oats, half flour. You can mix that with some sunflower oil and concentrated apple juice instead of sugar.

Chopped nuts added to the topping is good too!

Spike is one BIIIG Cat!!

Reverend Awesome said...

I have made many a crisp in my days. No cinnamon though. You know how I am. I'm un-American. I hate cinnamon. I know it's not right.

Penny is a little cuddle bug.

gz said...

I think that the use of cinnamon would come from the Nederlands

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am so nervous about the kitty getting cooked!!!!
Is Penney sniffing dog butt or what?

Unknown said...

LOL Love this blog...We love Apple Crisp also. Have even thrown in a few berries, tastes yummy. Spike is so funny, my Mom's cat would do that too all the time. Once he set his tail on fire when she had a pot cooking on the back burner...lol lol :) What a great weekend, and great way to spend it in this ucky cold weather.

BSOB said...

delicious!

Kimberly said...

Spike is becoming a welcome mat.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.