Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, February 11, 2010

OLD SCHOOL: college is so stimulating


(me starting to fix my broken kiln, good GAWD ALMIGHTY maybe I'll finish tomorrow)

Remember the movie OLD SCHOOL? I know, a classic, the BEST, what with the KY wrestling and streaking and all, the movie described itself as 'college with all of the fun and none of the education'. When that movie came out, I was like 'I GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT' and so we moved to Ithaca and I am now an instructor at Cornell University's Ceramics Studio, which sounds GRAND but is really just one step up from the guy making sandwiches in the deli. Except he makes a lot more money than me. Ahem.

SO ANYWAY, day one of class today for me, and you know, I get all these FABULOSO smart people in my classes. 3 from Chile, one from Israel, plus the usual contingent of engineers and 2 mathematicians and who knows what all else. SMART people learning to make pots. I have been reclusive for years, so I go out to teach all these smart people and I have my lesson plans and all, which I think are fairly clever, but one thing leads to another and you just sorta lose track of the PLAN and teach stuff and hope that next week you won't be such a FLAKE... (although people probably expect potters to be a flake like me)
Anyway, I am totally grateful to be able to teach amongst a zillion SMART PEOPLE and it is absolutely exciting and fun! More fun than hanging around the home studio trying to fix my kiln....

4 comments:

Jen Mecca said...

Wow...that sounds like me a few years ago at the art center I in Charlotte. Surrounded by smart professionals and here I am a potter/Mom. I totally get the flake thing! Him...teaching at Cornell Clay shop, you must get alot of rich-smart folks as well!!

( I'd rather teach than fix my kiln too!)

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Fixing a kiln? I think that makes you super-smart!!!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I think a lot of things are more fun than fixing the #*@&@* broken kiln. Sorry 'bout that.

Reverend Awesome said...

You don't have to be an engineer to be smart. I would call you super smart. Consider yourself amongst your peers. Your smart, pottering peers.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.