WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Shows! Come see me: Cooperstown Arts Association Nov.-Dec, Aurora Art and Design, Nov. and Dec, Temple Beth El, Ithaca, Nov. 22, Open Studio HERE , November 27-28, Ellis Hollow Fair, Dec 5, Space at Green Star, ithaca, Dec 12-13. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2015
Thursday, February 11, 2010
OLD SCHOOL: college is so stimulating
(me starting to fix my broken kiln, good GAWD ALMIGHTY maybe I'll finish tomorrow)
Remember the movie OLD SCHOOL? I know, a classic, the BEST, what with the KY wrestling and streaking and all, the movie described itself as 'college with all of the fun and none of the education'. When that movie came out, I was like 'I GOTTA GET ME SOME OF THAT' and so we moved to Ithaca and I am now an instructor at Cornell University's Ceramics Studio, which sounds GRAND but is really just one step up from the guy making sandwiches in the deli. Except he makes a lot more money than me. Ahem.
SO ANYWAY, day one of class today for me, and you know, I get all these FABULOSO smart people in my classes. 3 from Chile, one from Israel, plus the usual contingent of engineers and 2 mathematicians and who knows what all else. SMART people learning to make pots. I have been reclusive for years, so I go out to teach all these smart people and I have my lesson plans and all, which I think are fairly clever, but one thing leads to another and you just sorta lose track of the PLAN and teach stuff and hope that next week you won't be such a FLAKE... (although people probably expect potters to be a flake like me)
Anyway, I am totally grateful to be able to teach amongst a zillion SMART PEOPLE and it is absolutely exciting and fun! More fun than hanging around the home studio trying to fix my kiln....
- ► 2015 (321)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- a few pieces...
- A patriotic message from Penny
- a pottery post for a change...
- "you're like a POTTERY ROCK STAR"
- "your house looks like a cupcake!"
- losing the flamingo
- More teapot JOY! More snow JOY!
- the CUTEST thing you have ever seen in your life
- "UNUSUAL PRACTICES"
- Le Blizzard, Le Pennster
- my little winter olympian
- Mr Gnu and Me
- ROCKIN' THE RASPBERRY PANTS
- she was a 9 and a half....
- Death and taxes, tea and cookies, bunnies and ____...
- OH CANADA....
- the wife turns FIFTY :)
- the Irish are the cutest people on earth: an inter...
- Bowls and Beers: must be Friday :)
- another new super hero: The Kalzone Kid!
- DIE LAUGHING
- my hero, Chrissie Hynde
- BURRITO MAN and friends....
- BURRITO MAN
- "you sure are cute for a bundle of neuroses"
- Emily and Georges, Gary and Penny
- edible woman
- dig it...
- Oh Spike.....
- BE imaginative
- before we start looking ahead to Easter...
- I'm your boogie man....
- Georges Le Soq hits the kitchen on Valentine's EVE...
- le vegan restaurant
- I didn;t want to get up at 5
- gettin' DOWN with Georges Le Soq...
- CRACKED REAR VIEW
- from tramp stamp to sooper bowls
- OLD SCHOOL: college is so stimulating
- BIG super dooper day
- puggys, Becky Jo and Kasey from DUH MOINES, Iowa
- WHO DAT? Georges goes NOLA
- another brilliant movie from ME
- Georges thinks he is Patrick (or Demi?) in Ghost
- he said he wanted to help: Georges has a GHOST po...
- Its 3am, must be time for some laundry!
- Superb Bowls and a new azz tat for the wife
- nope, no blizzard here, sorry!
- Georges Le Soq, party animal
- Penny the beagle and....
- broccoli burrito, ravioli burrito, applesauce cook...
- Becky Jo, Frank, the secret pug teapot
- I know what I want for Valentine's Day...
- speaking of PINK
- Georges Le Soq: nearly arrested!
- le ravioli casserole with Georges Le Soq
- eaten by 2 lions....
- I am NOT Superman (contrary to what you may have h...
- You can't touch this...
- ▼ February (62)