Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, November 19, 2012

playing with OTHER PEOPLE'S PUPPIES and KITTENS



(Teapot by Gary Rith--I am reintroducing a glaze I have not used in YEARS but have examples around the house...a bright pale spring green I called Sammy, after my cat Sammy's eyes--it was, like him, a very tempermental glaze to use and tricky...but I reformulated it a bit and it is working VERY well....this teapot has a few little experiments going on :)

Sunday afternoon I am running with my buddies Stev0 and Ray.  A few weeks ago there was a little ball of fur loose in Ray's yard, meowling piteously...a 3 week old kitten his son named SCOOP becuase she was so small you just scooped her up in your hand.  Scoop is a very healthy and SWEET 15 weeks old now!  Oh gosh I love her so....



AND around the corner from Scoop and Ray's house is Maggie and Katie and their dog Maxwell...I was like "holy cats, lookit YOUR QUILT!" which Katie (dark hair, glasses) had made of her own design and efforts for Maggie...WOW.  I esp. love the raccoon and heron there, but this is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen in my life....


13 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm in love with Sammy glaze...and those spirals on your teapot. Scoop is a lovely little tortie, I know lots of fun. And, have to say the quilt is pretty gorgeous too!

Lori Buff said...

Very nice glaze. What cute and sweet pets, no wonder you love them

k.a. barnes said...

I admire the heck out of anyone who can make a quilt like that.

Amy said...

yes, that glaze is gorgeous. looks like it has some black texture or something in the spirals? all from an electric kiln, right? wow- great results.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Amy, yesyesyes :)

Amy said...

what's the black texture, though?

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Kitten and a beautiful quilt!! ♥

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I can't sew worth a damn so I REALLY admire that quilt. Gorgeous green glaze too.

JB said...

I'm loving that glaze, and the texture on the teapot. It's a satin matt?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Satin mat? Well, no, its tempermental you see ;) sometimes shiny sometimes ? Amy, the black is actually a little dark green glaze GO FIGURE!

Michèle Hastings said...

:-)

Hilary said...

Oh Scoop is adorable. I had a little tortoiseshell that looked just like her. She died 15 years ago at the age of 17 and I still miss her dearly. She was an amazing cat. Please give Scoop a scratch under the chin for me, the next time you see here. :)

Emily SIL said...

Scoop has THUMBS!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.