Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, November 3, 2012

making the pots I have always DREAMED of making

I am talking with both Heath in Georgia and Bart in Winnipeg about pots. Heath is like "teal is my FAVORITE glaze color" and well, that is the only glaze I have used this week.  Bart is a potter too and he is talking about the LONG AND WINDING road of pottery, so much to learn and explore!  And I tell them both "this week I am finally making the pots I have wanted to make all my life, 30 years!"  What is that?  Well, if you look in my museum you see glimpses of experiments going back over the years, but basically, I have wanted a certain bright color, and I love the celadon range (teal, jade, turquoise, spring green, all that) with swirly blues, plus I like exploring a certain dynamic shape, and then, of course, adding the little sculpted fun bits in contrasting colors...anyway, this kiln load which came out Friday was ALL of my turquoise glaze (or do I call it JADE MIX? it is a combination of FOUR of my glazes, dumped together....).  I know I might not be making any sense to anybody except myself, because I am always experimenting with something, but let's just say that a lot of ideas have come together and I am SUPER pleased and here is an example.

(teapot by Gary Rith)

see that swirly bit on the lower teapot?  that is what I have wanted to make my whole life, am I making sense?



owl and pussycat pitcherowl and pussycat pitcherThe wife and I love The Owl and the Pussycat love poem...this pitcher of mine celebrates it, for sale now at my etsy shoppe!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

This teapot is a Jewel! The shape, the glaze(s), the artwork and the whimsical sculpture on top...Just WOW!!!

debra said...

Mixing glazes is an adventure in chemistry! I like to layer them on my tiles, building up layers of color and visual texture. All kinds of cool things can happen.

bartster said...

the "fill" around the spiral is totally awesome; reminds me of pictures of the Milky Way. The 'zilla on the teapot just makes you smile. I'd say you've "hit this one outta the park."

smalltownme said...

LOVE the Owl and the Pussycat.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

You are an artist, that's for sure.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I DO love your glaze mixture!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.