Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, November 1, 2012

applesauce and blueberries in EVERYTHING


(indescribably awesome cookie jar by Gary Rith)

People who know me may not be surprised:  I will pretty much each eat blueberries and applesauce all day, its an addiction!  Add peanut butter and bread and you have 90 percent of what I like to eat.
(then there is, like, peanut butter sandwich with blueberry jam and apple butter and you sort get it all together in ONE :)

Yesterday I get this boatload of work done and it is cold and miserable and the applesauce supply is low....so I make more, and then I am like "havn't made my favorite APPLESAUCE PIE lately"..so I made a little one.... and, well, I stockpile blueberries in the freezer, from back in July?  When it is like 2 bucks a gallon for them?  And toss in blueberries to both....gosh, I should share those recipes down below...do you have any idea how great the house smells when you make all this stuff?

BTW, a customer yesterday who is flicking through this blog sees a picture of the stovetop, and my piggy spoon rest there in the pic?  And she is like "make me one of those!".



applesauce, so easy:

-dice 7-9 apples, toss in big cook pot with one cup water, half cup sugar, TBS lemon juice, then add spice:  ground nutmeg, clove and cinnamon
-boil on high covered then down to low to simmer 20-30 minutes until apples are breaking up and looking apple saucy, stirring often
-blenderize mixture!

applesauce pie: (derived from this recipe) it is my FAVORITE pie and it so EASY

2 eggs
1 cup sugar--or a little less
1/2 cup margerine, melted
1 cup applesauce
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice 
1 9 inch pie crust--I make my own either regular flour or granola
Directions:

1
Mix all of the ingredients----if you have berries like blubes or raspberries, toss on a bunch!!!! Even diced apples or peaches if you prefer :)
2
Pour into a 9" pie shell and bake in a 350 degree oven or 45 minutes


6 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Me too, love berries and applesauce. Still have lots of apples around, and my freezer has jars of frozen blues also. I think I'll do blueberry pancakes today though.

Lori Buff said...

Sounds yummy. We have several young blueberry bushes around the house. One day soon we'll have enough to be able to freeze them.

cookingwithgas said...

tasty stuff - I think I can smell the goodness!

Julia said...

Gosh - I'm coming over for dinner! :)

cm said...

Apples, yes. Apple sauce, not so much. And that spoon rest also makes a great jewellery caddy. ;-)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love that you make your own applesauce! Genius!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.