Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, January 8, 2010

BIG ORANGE FUZZY IN THE NAVEL

My pal Benji, and many of you know my pal Benji, was asking for funny potential band names the other day.
Twas a very good time, as many of you know.
So, I am heading into the shower today and peel off my sweater and thermal undershirt (GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER ladies) and notice my orange-red thermal has left a bright fuzzy in my navel (GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER everybody) and I call out to the wife
"There's a big orange fuzzy in the navel" like it is the 8th wonder of the world and she comes running to see (GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER EVERYBODY) and I briefly remember Benji's game, and write it down. So I can post it. As I do with every silly thing in my life.
Back to the frigid north: I just walked Penny over to our post office (we have no mail delivery in our town, you have to go get it)(yes, it is a DINKY town) and you can see Penny on the bridge over the river, looking at the river behind my house, and then the PO itself. I put her back into the house and shoveled snow, and realized that I had to use the roof rake for the first time in a couple of years. My southern friends probably cannot imagine it, but garages and buildings will collapse under the weight of accumulated snow, esp. when you are talking about the old shack that is our garage (seen in the far background behind me). A roof rake is a really long handled shovel so you can stand on the ground and reach up and pull snow down.



11 comments:

Gordo said...

Ahhh, winter! We have these wonderful, big flakes floating down today ...

Never really had to rake a roof, but there have been buildings around here that collapsed under the weight of the snow. People underestimate just how heavy the stuff can be.

BSOB said...

okay man, your name is now officially registered in the potential hall of fame for band names.
lots of snow out here too. good thing i work inside

cookingwithgas said...

Pretty snow- but I am not touching the navel no matter what the color is!

John Bailey said...

So glad to read abt yr raking the snow off yr roof! I was a little concerned to see the lovely stuff piling up on the purple house and was itching to say "get rid of it!" but I long since learned that unsolicited advice is seldom really welcome.

Keep warm!

Susan as Herself said...

Lovely pics---somewhow your snow looks nicer than our snow here in Chi-town. Sigh.

Anna M. Branner said...

Your winter has finally surpassed ours! As it should be. We did get a flurry of 2 inches this morning. And still awfully cold for Virginia!

Mimi Lenox said...

This post makes me brrrrrr all over again.It is going to be 14 tonight.
I am not amused.

Mimi Lenox said...

Hope you approve!
The Bee Mug!! and other stuff

kate et jim said...

We've been considering a roof rake for a while now. Not that we've needed one too often, but our back porch/den/office is added on to the house, so it's an almost flat roof. We've climbed up and shoveled it off at times, but...we're not getting any younger! lol.

Love the photos of the river. It was so beautiful when we saw it that fall.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

It's my duty as a San Diegan to tell you that it was 77 today and I ate on the patio when I went out to lunch today.

Did I hear a rumor you were going to be a Cabana boy at the Women's Colony get-together in August?!

Cheryl said...

Yup, definitely time to get out the roof-rake. I have raked many many times over many many winters. We are having a hard time finding a new rake though. Must be a run on them.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.