Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dumbo and Babar....

YOU can go to comments and tell ALL OF US what your favorite Disney movie is!

Either DUMBO or PINNOCHIO was the first movie I ever saw at a cinema when I was little, at least, that I can remember. I love the message in DUMBO, that he is made fun of and awkward and troubled but manages to turn his "weakness" into an amazing talent. I always identified with that as an artist, because people thinks artists are weird misfits (well, we are, actually, but shoot, who needs bullying in school by future meth heads????????). I loved Gepetto in PINNOCHIO, he was the guy who made toys! That came alive!!!!! I wanted to BE Gepetto and make the toys indeed (and I do!).

I looooove classic Disney movies, those two plus LADY AND THE TRAMP and more recently LILO AND STITCH which is hilarious, beautiful and rebellious, and, of course, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST. My wife the beauty got a beast alright (LUCKY ME! she is so nice) and one of our first outings was to see a matinee of that 20+ years ago. When we saw it we were not a couple, not even close, but I wanted us to be......it took a couple more months :) Last week I was out and about and saw the soundtrack for 2 bucks and snapped it up for her birthday.

Anyway, Babar the elephant in the book was a big favorite growing up and DUMBO the movie, both totally inspiring....


Speaking of Dumbo, you may need this elephant teapot, hmmm? On sale now at my etsy gallery!elephant teapot

13 comments:

k.a. barnes said...

That scene in Dumbo always makes me cry! I really don't often cry at movies but this one scene KILLS me.

smartcat said...

Snow White....because when you think about one young princess with seven guys? Really because Proge is an animation/comic nerd and the animation is gorgeous....in particular when Snow White sings to her reflection in the well. That's all cell animation, drawn by hand.....and....color to die for.

But I also love the Siamese cats in Lady and the Tramp.

Lori Buff said...

Finding Nemo is my favorite, yes it's a Disney movie. I think Snow White was the first movie I ever saw.

Corinne Tyo said...

I'm going to have to go with 101 Dalmations. I like it because there's not really a prince or princess in it, but there's a fantastic villian, adorable puppies, and it's jazzy. and it all takes place in London!

smalltownme said...

Bambi was the first movie I ever saw, but my all time favorite is Sleeping Beauty because I love the Eyvind Earle backgrounds.

Your elephant teapot is precious.

Joe Troncale said...

Gosh, asking what your favorite Disney movie is like asking "What is your favorite ingredient in a Snickers candy bar?" "It's the peanuts, no it's the caramel, no it's the chocolate..."
I'll say Cinderella...I think I always liked seeing the ugly step sisters get slammed in the end. The step-mother was so EVIL, so I hated that she kept Cinderella down.
Great teapot...

Michèle Hastings said...

I have so many faves...
Snow White
Sleeping Beauty (really love the soundtrack)
Bambi - because I have a wonderful memory of taking my little 3 year old to her first movie. She cried at the end and I thought she would never want to go to the movies again. When we got outside she said "can we see it again?"... she is such a girly girl, loves movies that make her cry!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Can we get some love for the jungle book? Also, this may be weird but I tend to like a bunch of specific Disney characters but not necessarily the movie they were in. For example, I love Thumper the little rabbit but hated Bambi...too sad. Loved Figaro the cat too.

Knight said...

I really love Snow White for the evil stepmother "Bring back her heart... in this." and she expects some dude to slaughter her in the woods and bring back her heart in a little box? So messed up! I loved that movie.

pminnihan said...

Pink elephants! Pink elephants! Pink elephants on parade...

I also agree with the comment above. Maybe it's just because I was younger, but the villians in the earlier Disney movies seemed to be more scary and less cartoony.

gz said...

The first film I remember was Fantasia- mainly for the music, but also for Mickey the Sorcerer's Apprentice!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Dumbo was my favorite movie as a kid...and it has such a special place in my heart as an adult!
I also loved Lady and the Tramp!!!

cm said...

Late to the party, as always, but wanted to put in a plug for The Three Caballeros.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.