A short story, yes? In 1987 I graduated with my nice little degree in art and it was the middle of the Reagan-Bush years and there were no jobs in the newspaper except special education. I didn't know what it was but I applied to and was accepted into a grad program in Chicago for special ed masters and teaching certificate. I finished the program and still didn't know anything about special ed or teaching or children. I didn't learn a thing, but there was an open pottery studio and that is how I met my wife, but you know that story.
ANYWAY, once I graduated from that useless program and had my teaching certifcation I had to find work. Chicago has, as you might imagine, the world's largest administration building where you go to be fingerprinted and fill out forms. And then, of course, never hear back or get hired. That was my experience, and I started working at a private school for blind children, which changed my life as you might imagine. (I later returned to college and got certification as a reading specialist and taught that at a private school in Massachusetts before retiring from teaching in 1997)
ANYWAY the whole point of this is to say that although my certifications have lapsed, I still have my degrees of course, and my dream last night was about that huge building in Chicago. It was like going through the gauntlet at an airport followed by a cattle call, none of which seemed to get anybody a job. What a nightmare: trying to get a teaching job....
THANK GOD I am a potter and dig this rather excellent bunch of tiny teapots...
(teapots by Gary Rith)
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- OOOO Baby BABY BABY, Baby Baby...
- gonna get you sucka
- thanks Miri! Georges too....
- stove, redux...
- le busy day, le frog....
- "underwear goes inside the pants"
- KEY WEST here I come...
- the good the bad and the ugly
- Terri Anne and Chris make the mistake of inviting ...
- David sez "ditch the guests my man...."
- day number 3 with guests
- its my d##k in a box!
- "it's just like Christmas morning"
- can I say it? Have a Kickazz Krizmazz
- 17 years of....
- December 24, 1992- December 24, 2009????
- wedding anniversary eve
- thanks Heather!
- home electronics for dummies
- I might like you better if we.....
- a slightly amusing cat joke for Christmas....
- Becky Jo and the SECRET GIRAFFE PROJECT
- don't you wish you were married to me?
- le SUNDAY
- ho ho HO!
- BAMF* of the day: my old pal Wendy
- the END
- 5 degrees
- Benji and Christi, BAMFs* of the week and the nice...
- hangin' at Benji's.....
- do you, YOU feeeeeel like I do
- another day in paradise
- melted chocolate...
- NO you cannot have the recipe
- nothing more fun than elephants eh?
- thank God I'm not a teacher
- MORE corduroy....
- dig this Felix card!
- Pearl Jam
- BAMF* teapot....
- Emily cat, another elephant teapot
- party at Nance's for Stevo.....
- awesome little teapot
- and so the Cornell Pot Shop Sale ends....
- moo ya'll...........
- hot DAWG
- Penny does the Snoopy dance
- spaghetti pizza casserole
- gonna hafta to go all NINJA on yo azz....
- Heavy Metal Christmas with Celeste and Maurice....
- the greatest Christmas dance EVAH
- 6 inches
- YOUR retirement plan
- Cornell Pot Shop Sale
- I got you BABE
- dig Julie's stuff!
- OMIGOSH the best tune, 2009
- she has unusally large ears....
- cow tipping galore!
- more scenes from a slightly snowy Saturday
- Mary and Max
- scenes from a slightly snowy day...
- the perfect teapot
- my wife: Senator hawtness
- frolicsome Friday!
- BAMF of the week: Spike the cat
- sick as a dog....
- raku baby...
- wee little teapot
- partying with Carol and Nance...
- I got what you NEED
- so I was telling Christi and ....
- CHRISTI comes ovah for the cookies
- sorry gals, I'm taken.....
- 57 dollars and the fridge challenge
- le cat und le mouse....
- ▼ December (78)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Great bunch of teapots, Gary. My favorites are the two in the middle.
Must be the time of year for wacky dreams.
That is one fantastic herd of tiny teapots. :)
The perfect pot for a shot of intense hot chocolate! (And an extra little cup on the side for whipped soy cream, please!)
Great teapots, the corduroy texture looks great.
I have a couple of friends that teach special ed, it's rewarding and crazy making simultaneously; imagine the dreams you'd have if you were teaching special ed.
Sorry you had a bad Chicago dream! I promise I had nothing to do with it!!!
It is so funny how that big ol' building memory is still sitting in the back of your brain. Cute pots!
sweeet ...great textures.
I love the colors and the engravings of the first one!
I think you WOULD be a good teacher, because you focus on the positive (good for the kids!!).
Post a Comment