You hear potters say sometimes "opening a finished glaze fired kiln is like CHRISTMAS MORNING". That is because pottery is a bit of a guessing game and what you hope for is a kiln load of beautiful pieces you made and fired, just as you hope for chocolate and stuffed beagles and DVDs in your stocking Christmas morning, not coal.
On Christmas Eve I fired my baby kiln which holds a few small pieces and woke up yesterday on Christmas morning to a first: opening the kiln to gorgeous items was like Christmas morning, on Christmas morning.
In other news, working backwards now, I have a house full of relatives sleeping all over our place. Penny still wanted to get up at 5 something today, and she tried to get our guests up at 5 something today too. Let's just say that although I am not yet sure WHO, one of you SNORES. I am not gonna say anything about fish and guests stinking after 3 days because I am having fun, but that snoring sh!t has GOT TO STOP.
One guest arrived yesterday afternoon and one was already here, but we waited and opened presents after dinner. Seems somewhat saintly to wait all day to open presents, and then we all had to play high stakes cards with pocket change and some of the good whiskey I got in my stocking, and AS USUAL my wife cleared the table and filled her pockets.....
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- OOOO Baby BABY BABY, Baby Baby...
- gonna get you sucka
- thanks Miri! Georges too....
- stove, redux...
- le busy day, le frog....
- "underwear goes inside the pants"
- KEY WEST here I come...
- the good the bad and the ugly
- Terri Anne and Chris make the mistake of inviting ...
- David sez "ditch the guests my man...."
- day number 3 with guests
- its my d##k in a box!
- "it's just like Christmas morning"
- can I say it? Have a Kickazz Krizmazz
- 17 years of....
- December 24, 1992- December 24, 2009????
- wedding anniversary eve
- thanks Heather!
- home electronics for dummies
- I might like you better if we.....
- a slightly amusing cat joke for Christmas....
- Becky Jo and the SECRET GIRAFFE PROJECT
- don't you wish you were married to me?
- le SUNDAY
- ho ho HO!
- BAMF* of the day: my old pal Wendy
- the END
- 5 degrees
- Benji and Christi, BAMFs* of the week and the nice...
- hangin' at Benji's.....
- do you, YOU feeeeeel like I do
- another day in paradise
- melted chocolate...
- NO you cannot have the recipe
- nothing more fun than elephants eh?
- thank God I'm not a teacher
- MORE corduroy....
- dig this Felix card!
- Pearl Jam
- BAMF* teapot....
- Emily cat, another elephant teapot
- party at Nance's for Stevo.....
- awesome little teapot
- and so the Cornell Pot Shop Sale ends....
- moo ya'll...........
- hot DAWG
- Penny does the Snoopy dance
- spaghetti pizza casserole
- gonna hafta to go all NINJA on yo azz....
- Heavy Metal Christmas with Celeste and Maurice....
- the greatest Christmas dance EVAH
- 6 inches
- YOUR retirement plan
- Cornell Pot Shop Sale
- I got you BABE
- dig Julie's stuff!
- OMIGOSH the best tune, 2009
- she has unusally large ears....
- cow tipping galore!
- more scenes from a slightly snowy Saturday
- Mary and Max
- scenes from a slightly snowy day...
- the perfect teapot
- my wife: Senator hawtness
- frolicsome Friday!
- BAMF of the week: Spike the cat
- sick as a dog....
- raku baby...
- wee little teapot
- partying with Carol and Nance...
- I got what you NEED
- so I was telling Christi and ....
- CHRISTI comes ovah for the cookies
- sorry gals, I'm taken.....
- 57 dollars and the fridge challenge
- le cat und le mouse....
- ▼ December (78)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
I love the photo of Spike with all the ribbons. A cat's paradise. :)
there's always a snorer in every crowd.
btw, i agree with hilary.
I love the yellow! Beautiful!
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
Looks like Emily had a great day!!!
Snoring? Get some earplugs...that is what I do.
Have fun with your guests!!!!
Or was that Spike? I need name tags on your cats. :)
Merry Christmas, Gary & Maude!
I'm the snorer in my house! But I blame it on Jimbo and so far, everyone has believed it! lol
ooh ooh! freshly opened kiln, shiny shiny!
I am intrigued by the items in the kiln. Merry Merry!
Hope it was a merry one! Your kiln opening sure looks merry!
The stuff in the kiln looks wonderful to me -- like bright, gay sunshine on a previously gloomy day. Very beautiful.
Post a Comment