Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

mystery glaze...


(teapot by Gary Rith)
At the Cornell studios there is a huge rinse bucket. You mix your glaze up, clean your mixer and brushes in the rinse bucket, and there is a huge quantity of muck at the bottom--the leftovers of ten different glazes. Somebody stirred up and sieved that muck and this glaze is the result, and everybody is racing to use it, 'cause it looks so SHARP. makes me want to mix all 15 of my glazes together at home and see what happens!
Big day today. Gotta get more java and dig these guys:

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that muck glaze is awsome!!! Glazes amaze me, they always turn out so differently than expected, well for me they do, haha I still have a lot to learn about them.

Susan as Herself said...

That glaze is the coolest thing I have seen all week.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

oh, WOW!!!

And I really like the pic on your banner today, as well! You two are such a lovely couple. :)

Gordo said...

That's a great glaze, Gary! Too bad you'll never see it again. LOL

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Ha, That's funny:) Cool teapot.

Barbara Martin said...

That is a wonderful glaze, Gary. I do like the teapot.

Unknown said...

That mucky glaze looks like a glaze that Ben has out at the Tuscarora Pottery school in Nevada. I can't remember the name of it, but it fires to cone 10. It's either Abelone (sp?) or Oribe... I think it's the first one. :)

cindy shake said...

Sort of the Heinz 57 Glaze! It's lovely, almost jewel like.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Beauty! Like the mutt who turns out to be the best of every dog!

Prohomemaker.Com said...

Oh I like that a lot -- love the gold in the blue!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.