Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, November 23, 2009

Its a nasty world sometimes, isn't it?



(teapot by Gary Rith)
You know, I am sometimes asked why I make what I make, a wee smiling little guy atop a teapot, for example. I do so firstly because it makes me laugh and is fun to make. I realize, and I am not kidding here, that as I form the elephant's smile I am beginning to smile too. It makes me so happy.
Its a sh!tty world sometimes. I am fortunate to be able to sit around and make things all day, but what do you do in a world where there is so much misery? I don't have an answer. But this is what I do, because maybe I can make somebody else laugh and smile too, and that is very important to me.

I was asked to enter a competition of upstate NY artists for the WSKG TV and radio station. 3 years ago I was not only asked to compete, but wound up being interviewed on live TV while they introduced my teapot to the world and then auctioned it off for charity. This event is a little different. Winners have their art work placed into a traveling show going across NY, hopefully to great acclaim, fame and fortune. I chose this guy because although I have a lot of favorites kicking around the studio, this guy has been THE number one favorite for months :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's to acclaim, fame and fortune for you and your travelling elephant. What a wonderful teapot!

I do love those "ring" handles. I'm still "sneaking" back to stare (ok drool) at that lovely ring raku handle from the other's day rakustravaganza...

Jessica said...

Good luck Gary! :) I love that teapot!

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Smiles are very powerful. I use them all the time :) Love the Elephant Teapot :) The glaze is super pretty too.

Unknown said...

That is exactly why I love your work, it brings many smiles. Good Luck and keep doing what you do so well..... oh and of course I love that teapot :o))

Gordo said...

Terribly nasty world, Gary. but I know I can always count on you for a smile. :-D

John Bailey said...

I think you might be surprised just how many people depend on you for a good, reliable smile, Gary. The piggies and hephalumps help, too. :-)

Hilary said...

You offer up smile for tea.. and teapots for smiles.

Lovely photo of the two of you on the header.

Susan as Herself said...

When the world gets nasty, I look to art for inspiration. All kinds of art. To me there is nothing more hopeful and uplifting than seeing an artist at work, simply creating. After all, creation is the opposite of destruction, and so often the world is an upsetting place to be because it feels as though things are falling apart.

My art of choice is theater---so when I am not doing it myself, I like to see other theater artists making strides and practicing their craft. Not so different, really, from sitting with a pile of clay.

:)

Busy Bee Suz said...

The world is nasty "outside"...but inside, we can make it as nice as we want it!!!
Love these pots...so cute!

Lynda said...

I just love the elephants :~

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Good luck, Gary! It's a beautiful teapot, and you are right about those little critters!

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

I like your philosophy. You ARE a bright spot, and so is your work. The elephant teapot makes me smile.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.