WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Gary meets a MANGO.....
I mean, WTF IS a mango? I have no idea. Many years ago my first experience with mango was in a mango chutney, an Indian dish with this sweet tasty/spicy chutney on the side. Then I had a fruit salad in NY city some time back and was like HOLY CATS that sure as heck is NOT cantelope (I hate cantelope) WHAT IS THAT YUMMY item? (that looks a bit like cantelope) It was mango. 2 months ago we are out with the young cousin at the Thai place: "try the mango curry! It is my favorite!" says the worldly young 19 year old...and it is exqusite.
Our store has diced fresh mango. It is wicked expensive but I have had it zillions of times and LOOOOVE it so. Just open the wee box and munch.
Today, at the store? I was gonna get fresh mango chunks in the wee box, like 4-5 bucks each, and try to make mango curry. The store made a mistake: Tuesday they put REAL mangos next to the precut chunks, and it is like when you have gotten used to the fact that guacamole is expensive... but then one day you buy an avocado cheap and find out how simple and easy it is to make guac? You are like "HOLY CATS, whatta ripoff!" Ditto mango chunks in a box. Mangos are cheap!
As long as you can figure out how to slice the damn thing. I was like "is this thing an apple, and you eat the peel, or is it a banana and the peel comes right off or is it like a carrot, where you have to use a peeler to get the skin off????". I don't know the answer to that. What I did was use a sharp knife to skin it...seems like the right instinct, then try to figure out how to slice it...it has a big bizarre seed like an avocado, except flat.
ANYWAY. It was a HUGE success, the mango curry... I based my approach on what vegan stoners did for their curry recipe, which is basically diced some veggies and stir it up in the hot pan for awhile with coconut yogurt and spice, serve over rice (or noodles, in my case). It is a brilliant and easy recipe of theirs (click here) but I substituted mango for carrot, HUZZAH!
I also baked bread Tuesday... I can't remember where I came across this ultra-WONDERFUL easy gluten-free bread recipe, but it blows me away, so soft and tasty! Just corn and rice flour!!!!
Alert readers will recall that every spring it is the same with me: I plant things, full of hope! Soon thereafter they DIE.
I gave the wife a wee pot for Easter and a basil plant... Penny and I put it together. I hope like hell it survives long enough for ONE dish at least... have an awesome Wednesday!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- "here in my car..."
- gluten-free buttered BUNS and Teapot Tuesday #3!
- BLACK keys and black thumbs....
- "...wish it was Sunday, that's my fun day..."
- sometimes you feel like a nut... sometimes you don't!
- Stonehenge, VIRGIN SACRIFICE and my black thumb....
- Scottie dogs + Porsches = living like the one perc...
- Gary meets a MANGO.....
- Teapot Tuesday TWO: bigass teapot, bigass bagels a...
- thinking outside the BOX... or egg cup....
- back to IMPOSSIBLY CUTE ... egg cups for Easter!
- before we go ALL CUTE for ya on Easter...
- "you made (gluten-free) chocolate bread just so yo...
- BABIES and Sunny Days = SPRING
- gluten-free brownies to DIE for and TWEE serving p...
- TEAPOT TUESDAY number one and dreaming of TWINS!
- WHAT could be more cute?????
- improvisational cooking: "just so good I want to ...
- the first morning WITH and the first morning WITHO...
- the FERN that ate my head....
- THURSday can be teapot day too....
- the last mention of _____, I SWEAR it!
- when life GOES TO 11: a couple of unexpected priz...
- what would Dumbo do????
- Penny had some people over to party....
- KILLER kupcakes... gluten-free!
- day of the dogs?
- a couple of gems....
- birthday week day one: the aftermath
- 48 is the new 84.... ?
- ▼ April (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)