Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, October 21, 2013

Canada is DIFFERENT: road trip part TWO

You see different signs!  "100kmh" for example.  When you are speeding along the "Queen Elizabeth Way" you look down at the speedometer and try to figure out what 100kmh is while asking the wife "what is a Queen Elizabeth?".  "Seat belts compulsory" is another example.  Compulsory!!!! Do Americans have a vocabulary that encompasses COMPULSORY?  Obviously their schools are far better than ours, and it is easy to imagine the stern school teacher frowning at you telling you it is COMPULSORY and you are gonna do it...

But I mean, their POOPER SCOOPER signs don't mess around!  GRAPHIC:

(with jake, CM and Ben's dog)

Like I said we went to Niagara peninsula ***Saturday to a favorite winery Cave Springs in Jordan, Ontario, a beautiful place!  We had lunch at Zooma Zooma and then went to Hamilton to see our friends CM and Ben.....  *** (yes yes, we went to the Falls too :)


On the way home we stopped at the town I had lived in for most of my childhood, Brockport, NY.  I had not been there in decades.  We moved away when I was in tenth grade.  Anyway, this is the house we lived in and the middle school.  We were the first to live in this house and my dad planted these trees  back in the 70s when it was all grass, and built the rock walls. The middle school was called "the castle".
It is funny going back.  I am not a nostalgic person and I am not a person who goes to reunions.  But this was fun. I told the wife a few times "I had a girlfriend who lived there" and  I saw a political sign with a familiar name on it, running for office:
"hey, I asked her out in 6th grade!" and the wife asks
"did she say yes?" and I reply
"well, she did not say no, so I guess I am still waiting for her answer...."




7 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

What fun! Until two years ago my parents were still living in the house I grew up in. We saw lots of trees grow and then get so big that they had to be cut down.
I don't do reunions either.

momwhoknits said...

That's O.K, Gary. When we go to the States, I have to figure out 60 mph and why everyone is going so fast! My in-laws live near Niagara Falls, se we get to visit every summer.

momwhoknits said...

That' s ok Gary. When we go the States, it takes a few minutes to adjust to mph and why everyone is going so fast! The inlaws live near Niagara Falls, so we get to go every summer.

Barbara Rogers said...

... so did you go the speed limit or just do what everyone else was doing?

Lori Buff said...

I think you're right about the Canadian schools being better than American schools. Actually, their are lots of things I like better about Canada, if only it weren't so cold...

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I need some stern poop scooping signs for my neighborhood! Sounds like a fabulous trip!

bartster said...

As a US citizen living in Canada, I am often asked to "compare" the two. Not sure it can be done. I'm finding that there are significant regional differences within Canada just as there are in the US. After four years I still think in Fahrenheit and miles per hour and am gradually learning to convert these measurements. Glad you had such a great trip!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.