Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, April 28, 2011

overrun by rebel soldiers...

I guess I was reading recently about the start of the Civil War 150 years ago, and it always irritates me that some people these days might insist it was about so-called state's rights when it was really as simple as slavery. War is a horrible task, and that was an esp. brutal war, but freeing the slaves was important. I hate it when I see the Confederate flag on a bumper here in New York *--what an ignorant and hateful statement. (*the hills out there might as well be Alabama, the way some rural folks are)

ANYWAY, I mention this because I dreamt I was a Union Captain defending a farm in a town, beset by thousands of rebel soldiers. At nightfall, I am the only Union soldier left, which they do not know. In an utterly vivid and real night, I take stock of the dead around me, and the thousands across the field with their cannon aimed at me, and I realize, when they fire the first shot of the morning, that there is not going to be any mercy if I am found to be the last survivor of this position, so I slip out the back and begin to make my way back to the larger Union position...utterly terrifying. Even a war and battle you consider just also seems like a useless waste of human potential and emotion. The town is quiet and I safely move through the darkness and awake...


SO, I make another car. This one may be the cutest of all of them so far, BUT it needed a repair and then I am trying make it roll for real and it did NOT work very well. I think I need to simplify my thinking for awhile, make non-rolling cars.
I made that skull below and Aprillyn just JUMPED on it...you wonder sometimes if you can ever make enough skull stuff?

(new pottery by Gary Rith)

8 comments:

Tonya Lynn said...

It irritates me to no end when I see high schoolers with the Confederate flag on their cars - I think worse so that when I see it on adults - I think its because they think that they are 'cool' without even knowing that they are spreading a message of hate and intolerance.

(P.S. I wish that I could remember my dreams like you do - I'm sure that I dream I just can't ever remember what they are.)

BSOB said...

Straight up Gary, These are treasures!
Also, spread the word about handwritten posts - at least one this week

Unknown said...

The skull goes with your dream....

Joyful Things said...

It takes one person to change the thoughts of others. Unfortunately they can build hate(Hitler) as well as tolerance.(Peace Pilgram)

"This is the way of peace:
Overcome evil with good,
and falsehood with truth,
and hatred with love."
....Peace Pilgrim

Unknown said...

Awesome awesome car!
The skull is pretty cool too, love your new stuff!

Reverend Awesome said...

Duh. That's so great all I can say is Duh!

Unknown said...

Actually both the car and the skull are cute! Great job, Gary!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

SnakeMaster is participating in a mock Civil War battle tomorrow after learning about it with his Boy Scout Troop. Big Camp-o-ree.

While I can see the fun of being young with a Rebel flag (hello, teens and rebellion) it is ignorant to not understand/take into account the hatred and vileness involved.
Oh, it was about States' rights: States' rights to keep others enslaved and not have someone (the federal government, or anyone else) tell you it's WRONG.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.