Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Sunday, September 11, 2011

ten years ago...

Ten years ago today I recall having 36 piggy banks drying that needed to be finished. If things are drying out, you have no choice but to work on it, get it done. Both of my sister-in-laws live in NY city and we were on the phone at different times, the one looking out her office window, watching the whole thing burn directly in front of her.
They were fine, but I recall thinking that day, as the radio played the news, the sun shone beautifully, that it was quite a contrast, to be sitting there working on something so cute and sweet as piggy banks while such a horrible event was unfolding.

pink piggy bank

7 comments:

Cheryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheryl said...

I remember everything about that terrible moment in time...hands in the sink, washing dishes, Mark getting ready for a late shift at the hospital. We got a phone call telling us to turn on the tv...we just sat together in shock, tears falling..as we saw the second tower hit. Mark finally had to leave for work and I couldn't make myself leave his apartment to go home...so scared to leave...it was almost a suffocating feeling.

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I was on the way to the dentist office, pregnant with my first child. I heard it on the news on the way in; first the first plane, then the second. I rushed into the office and they had no idea what was going on at that very moment.

The first plane hit and I thought what a horrible accident. The second plane hit and I knew. Something was terribly wrong. This is one of those events we will forever remember every detail of that day in our own lives.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Such a sad day in our history.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

I was in Nebraska at the time and it felt so personal. Living here now, it feels even more so.

k.a. barnes said...

Brett & I were both home sick from work and had been sleeping in. He got a call from a coworker and we turned on the tv just as the first tower fell. Spent the day being afraid for our friends in the city, wishing we were in NY with family, and wondering if the world would ever be the same again.

Anonymous said...

Gary, you captured perfectly the dichotomy of that day for many of us: dealing with our personal, safe realities and lives while processing the horror happening elsewhere... and concerns for friends and family at those locations.

Glad you were safe from the recent floods. That was some awful stuff!
~KC (Karen, formerly kcinnova)

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.