Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, September 26, 2011

tales from a perfect weekend....

SO, as you have heard me say many many times lately, I was at the 2 Rivers Fine Arts Fest in Binghamton, NY at the Roberson museum all weekend. Considering the city was under water in the worst flood ever 2 weeks ago, including the back of the space where we were exhibiting, and that the street has condemned homes and wrecking and cleanup crews everywhere, tis a miracle the event happened as scheduled. But boy, what a perfect weekend, could not ask for a better crowd or weather. The crowd was down, less than half the usual, but I was in spot number ONE, next to the entry, and had great sales and a great time, lucky me! I gave up on doing most outdoor fairs like this one years ago, and we got rid of our large vehicle and the canopy has sat in storage since 2005---it had mice in it, eewwwww! But I got it all into the wee car, and it worked very well. I was reluctant to do an outside fair like this---worries about rain, wind, thieves overnight, but like I said, the weather and everything were perfect. This event is a very carefully juried art show, and the crowd seems to know it, compared with some fairs where customers might have more of a, how do you put it, garage sale sale mentality. This was a smart audience looking for beautiful things. Plus, you know, you see the lady with the six shi tzus....

In 1985 I worked as a useless apprentice to Dean White. I ran into him here, the FIRST TIME he and I have ever been at a fair together (outdoor fairs are his bread and butter). We keep in touch a little and I respect him and his kindliness immensely. We talked quite a bit, and this is what he told me: as a potter for 38 years, he has had hundreds of students and apprentices, but only ONE became a potter, ME. I was like HOLY CATS! Made me feel, I dunno, pretty flippin' awesome :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) I thought you were joking about the shih tzu's! Love it!


Shannnon

CiCi said...

Super. You had a great place to set up and you sold enough to make you happy. Sounds like a great weekend.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

the shih tzues are all friendly, and rescue dogs well beloved by this awesome lady--imagine combing them, huh?

Busy Bee Suz said...

How fabulous to run into your mentor!!! He must be proud of you. Oh, those pups....rescues??? awesome!!!

Elizabeth Grimes said...

That really surprises me that only one became a potter! Good for you! Sounds like a great day. Those shitzus....just...wow. :)

Unknown said...

I have a friend who always says, in one breath: "I have a shi tzu excuse me."

This poor woman has SIX of them, all over the street???

Hilarious!

And remarkable about you being the only one to make it to full potterhood. Speaks to your talent and tenacity!

Reverend Awesome said...

I love shih tzues lady! It all looks quite overwhelming, but fun.

I bet you made your mentor proud!

Joyful Things said...

Looks Shi-tzu mama like she could use the twins stroller for her babies! Love the one sitting in the top balcony. Glad you had a great show and were able to spend time with the guy who helped shape your destiny.

Joyful Things said...

that was to say - "looks like Shi-tzu mama could use the twins stroller". too early for keyboard activity I guess........

Unknown said...

Gosh, so glad you had such a great time! Wow that is a cool story about your Mentor. Kudos for you Gary! and the world is glad you did become a potter.
Really love the Shi-tzu lady, I would of followed her around all day kissing her dogs and making a pest of myself....hahahahha!

Michèle Hastings said...

juried shows definitely make a difference in the quality of work as well as the quality of the buyers! glad to hear you had a good show.

Cheryl said...

Well shucks, you are outstanding! Got to love the six doggies...I wonder who decides who gets to ride along and who gets to walk....

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.