Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

pigs at the trough....


(pottery by Gary Rith)
Before we get to those chocolate cookies,  lets talk pigs.  You know I have made the standing piggy banks pictured toward the back in that photo since 1989.  Then 10-12 years ago I added the small sitting bank, with belly button.  I also have made myself a couple of these piggy card holders.  People at fairs would try to buy it and, me being dense, would be like "but it is my card holder, no!".  Thinking "stupid customers, leave me alone!" which is REALLY what all potters think of you civilians, if you want the truth ;)
Ahem.  That was a joke.
Anyway, off at Jacci's store, people are apparently always trying to buy my card holder, and per usual I am like "stupid people, it is MINE!".  But, a potter and sculptor like me, it occurs to ME that I am the stupid one, can also make them and sell them, DUH!!!! So who has been stupid all along? I also made the wife a dog card holder (beagle!) and maybe I should make and sell some of those too....

Please don't look at the phone number there and call me.  I never answer the phone even if you are a relative.  I like emails, not phones, and new cards don't have the number at all...
well, i would pick up if the wife calls.  YES, I screen calls....or simply never pick up....OK....cookies!!!!

Yesterday on pinterest I see "oatmeal chocolate chip bars" and I am like ???!!!!! (sorry, can't find the original)

AND so I decide I am dying to make them....and they are so simple and good, and I made 3 changes, so I guess that makes it my recipe, almost?  Below you will see what I did, next to original, to make it no dairy, no egg = vegan.  let's just say they are AWESOME AND EASY too.

oatmeal choc chip bars

grease 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pyrex baking dish

needs:
1/2 cup butter (I used earthbalance margerine)
2/3 cup brown sugar
3/8 cup white sugar
1 egg (I used 2 oz. toffuti soy 'cream' cheese and 1/4 cup soy milk)
1/2 teas vanilla
1 teas baking powder
1 cup rolled or quick oats (I used quick oats--I figure it would hold together more easily)

preheat oven to 375

-cream margerine, sugars, egg or soy and vanilla in a bowl
-second bowl, combine flour, baking powder and oats (original did not do this, but I did)
-add the flour mix to the margerine bowl, stir until nicely mixed, add choc chips
-pour the crumbly mixture into greased pan, press into an evenly spread pan, bake 18-22 minutes--until it looks like it is just getting golden brown
-let dish cool for say 30 minutes, then cut into bars, like 16 of them, while it is still a little warm and soft, then let bars cool on wire rack, YUM!  I finished these and cut them just when the wife came home...I was a BIG STAR and you could be too!


10 comments:

Little Miss Sunshine State said...

I made a weird cookie recipe yesterday with cocoa,applesauce, bananas, peanut butter, oats...no eggs or sugar. They're a little strange, but not horrible. Yours look much better.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Oooh, those look great!

My husband never answers the phone either. One day he heard me telling a telemarketer from the bank, "trust me, you will never get to speak to him on the phone so please stop calling." if our home phone wasn't tied into our alarm system, im sure we we wouldn't even have one.

Love the card holder. Dog ones would be good too. And maybe monsters!

Barbara Rogers said...

You've heard of "the cat's meow?" Well you're the pigs________!!
Whatever they do, oink perhaps? Love your banks, and I am considering which grandchild is eligible for one.

Joe Troncale said...

I was laughing so hard when you were writing about the people trying to buy your card holder!!!
What a scream!!!
"YOU CAN"T BUY THIS!"
("wait, is that what I am trying to do, like SELL pottery?")
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Lori Buff said...

Those look like they would be really good to bring as a snack when doing shows & such. Better than festival food, that's for sure.

JB said...

Loved the card holders and did laugh at the stupid customers! Haven't you heard, they are always right....and as a retailer everything should be for sale! I can see there will be a veritable zoo of cardholders

~ Sil in Corea said...

OOoooo! I *want* a piggy card-holder! My business cards are rose-pink...just sayin'.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I never answer the phone if a civilian calls me either. :)
YUMMMMMM cookies!

Michèle Hastings said...

we screen most of our calls too... especially if caller ID says "unknown caller". I think I might be the only seagrove potter not making clay business card holders, of course I haven't seen any that can top your piggy one.

homeworkwithheather said...

ummm...how much flour?

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.