Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

she has an ID tag...

Photo: Today was our first visit with Penny beagle! (And Gary Rith)

Penny and I, as you know, visited Longview senior living Monday.
I think I should be careful about taking residents' photos, because I have not sought permission, but these show my girl having a ball.  As the vet had imagined, Penny LOVES people so much, it is a shame to waste it!
I gave her 3 good walks before we got there.  Longview is a totally ideal community, like a nice resort hotel filled with friendly people, originally founded by Ithaca College and across the street.  The college has a large number of programs for students to study the issues of the aging plus physical therapy etc,  and although Longview is immensely large, it is totally state of the art.
As I said, I put my name down on the waiting list...40 years....
it was hot on Monday, and Penny and i were glad to get in.  She played with a lot of people, the first of whom she went nuts for, the director! he gave her treats.  He told her to come back every week to his office!  What a great guy!
We both have ID tags.  the daily schedule, on line, printed and on the bulletin board says "Mondays with Penny".


13 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh what a sweetheart! Good for you for bringing her there. I'm sure everyone is happier for it.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for you and Penny...being in an institutional setting means a lot of people miss the comfort of pets. I know they will appreciated your visits!

smartcat said...

What terrific thing for Penny and you to do. Looks like a good time was had for all!

k.a. barnes said...

Oh my gosh, that last picture, she is just manic!! We love having Penny to visit! (And you, of course!)I'm keeping my schedule clear next monday so I can come up and take some pictures of Penny with the residents.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

This really is a great thing that you and Penny are doing. I do a ton of outreach concerts at senior centers and I know that they really appreciate people coming to visit....especially when you bring an awesome dog like Penny!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

No purple tutu this time?

Joyful Things said...

It's wonderful what you and Penny are doing for the folks at Longview.

Michèle Hastings said...

you guys are awesome to spread your love and happiness to the elders of Ithaca.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful thing for you and Penny to do, wishing you many happy visiting days.

Reverend Awesome said...

What a wonderful use of Penny's talents! She looks so happy and I'm sure she makes everyone that encounters her happy as well. How could she not!?

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I was thinking that 90 + degrees was a little warm for the tutu. Maybe next time!

Briget said...

GARY! It's me, Briget - from Derfwads! I found out tonight, listening to my MIL talking in the car on the way to dinner about her niece in Ithaca (who had just been visiting - are you getting it yet?) that we are related - well kinda - through marriage! So I had to let you know! Say Hello to the Divine Mrs. Gary for me (I wish I'd know while she was here!) and also - I'm thinking of a trip to Ithaca in July, for the Derfwad gathering. Ya think?? Time to meet the rest of the family!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is a wonderful job for Penny...community service at its best. You are awesome to take her there Gary. Kudos to you both!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.