WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Thursday, January 21, 2016
how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
I make a pottery lamp once every, oh, 10-20 years or so….really! I just have to dig through a box and find the parts….
Wednesday was a magical day. I had a glaze firing turn out SO perfectly, I mades tostadas from scratch (masa harina tortillas baked then topped and baked again, little crisp Mexican pizzas) and fixed the sink (YES, the fourth or fifth or 11th time in ten years, but who is counting?) AND I made this lamp. I made the lamp body about 2 years ago….pottery is not bananas, so it is not like it was going bad, but that is what January is for: DO THOSE little odds and ends, right?
SO, I dug out the box of electrical parts and got cracking….last time I made lamps was around 1997, no kidding….and this was so much fun I WANT TO MAKE MANY more :)
There is a hole in the base, I thread a long electric cord with plug up through with several inches extra.
Then you push a long metal rod with a threaded hole in the middle down the cord and into the pot. Then you need to push the threaded post down the cord into the pot, screw it to the rod in there, and then screw all that to the socket on top, and tighten all of it. Then the connection. Not as hard as it sounds :)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- FLYING LINGERIE: just 2 weeks until V day!!!!!!
- bunny bouquet….
- on the one hand, painted mugs.. on the other, glut...
- gluten-free applesauce cake: no white sugar and s...
- 100 holes punched into my right eye: second glauc...
- "a hint of turquoise"
- speaking of that handle….
- whoa, LONG upper handle...
- glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new...
- how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
- oh yeah, winter can be beautiful!
- 100 holes in my left eye is better than going blind
- a tale of 2 vases…or 3….
- Dill, Daisy and Scoop
- "everything's going to be OK…."
- great expectations….
- "if my eye surgeon can ____, then I can fix the oven"
- glaucoma is a B!TCH
- half of 3.3 million bucks...
- "we can be heroes, if just for one day…"
- not exactly bamboo….
- when cake is just like pottery….
- dogs haven't taken over my life….
- CRUSTY… a potter's workplace
- 4 days of winter...
- frozen margaritas delivered to your door….
- holy CATS number 2 in the world...
- 15,000 photos a year…..
- bubbly: not just champagne….
- 2016 seems like a BIG number….
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)