WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, January 19, 2016
100 holes in my left eye is better than going blind
(low tech: they mark the eye prepped for surgery with a sticker)
Having not responded to glaucoma medication, I told you I was to have eye surgery yesterday and again next Monday, one for each eye.
Glaucoma in a nutshell is that your eye or eyes do not drain properly, fluid builds up and the optic nerve is slowly destroyed. Permanently. There is no cure for glaucoma and you can't get anything back that you have lost, you can only try to keep it from getting worse. It also sometimes comes with light sensitivity and eye pain (Bono of U2 recently admitted that his trademark sunglasses had nothing to do with being cool: he has glaucoma too).
ANYWAY, the more research you do, the more you find that treatment involves the doctor trying different things on you as long as you live, different medicines, and a range of surgeries. I just had SLT where the surgeon uses a laser to cut 100 holes in your eye. (Not kidding!!!!) There is no sedative for the patient. Dammit.
I was checked in and examined and they found that my right eye, which is always worse than my left, was under way too much pressure to operate, and I sure as heck didn't want to go home, so told them to do my left then and try the right next week. So they redid the whole prep thing for my left. Everybody was so nice, and today it feels FINE, 100 percent normal, but yesterday it flipping' HURT. It was awful. The machine pictured here is like having your head strapped to a high power searchlight, and the procedure is like 100 hot flashbulbs with spikes. It made me panic at first, you canNOT move, you can't close your eyes. And it felt like somebody had just drilled 100 hot holes in my eye. With needles. Then left them there.
I hadn't passed out or died or anything, and so they sent me on my merry way...
There had been a delay in getting my prescriptions, so we needed to drive down to get them, about 15 minutes, then 20 minutes home. I couldn't open my eye and needed my sunglasses for the other eye, so the wife drove me to the store. Cold wind felt like we were doing the whole 100 holes thing again.
After an hour I was able to open my eyes OK and see better. Some of the pain was fading, and so we had the tacos, and wearing my sunglasses, did the only thing that seemed sensible: watched NAPOLEAN DYNAMITE. Pain kept me awake a little while last night, but this morning
I AM ONE HUNDRED PERCENT FEELING FINE :) Thanks for listening :) Next week, next eye….
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- FLYING LINGERIE: just 2 weeks until V day!!!!!!
- bunny bouquet….
- on the one hand, painted mugs.. on the other, glut...
- gluten-free applesauce cake: no white sugar and s...
- 100 holes punched into my right eye: second glauc...
- "a hint of turquoise"
- speaking of that handle….
- whoa, LONG upper handle...
- glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new...
- how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
- oh yeah, winter can be beautiful!
- 100 holes in my left eye is better than going blind
- a tale of 2 vases…or 3….
- Dill, Daisy and Scoop
- "everything's going to be OK…."
- great expectations….
- "if my eye surgeon can ____, then I can fix the oven"
- glaucoma is a B!TCH
- half of 3.3 million bucks...
- "we can be heroes, if just for one day…"
- not exactly bamboo….
- when cake is just like pottery….
- dogs haven't taken over my life….
- CRUSTY… a potter's workplace
- 4 days of winter...
- frozen margaritas delivered to your door….
- holy CATS number 2 in the world...
- 15,000 photos a year…..
- bubbly: not just champagne….
- 2016 seems like a BIG number….
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)