WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, January 26, 2016
100 holes punched into my right eye: second glaucoma surgery
You will recall that last week I went in to have glaucoma surgery done on my right eye, to try to keep it from losing vision. The pressure was too high to work on (glaucoma= high pressure in the eye which destroys the optic nerve and your vision) so they did the procedure, using a laser to punch 100 holes in my left eye. The whole thing is billed as no big deal, and in retrospect it isn't, but it hurt like hell and scared the sh!t out of me.
(The doctor says it has a 50-50 chance of helping in my case, and the thing with glaucoma is they are always having to try a new treatment on you. I am rechecked in 8 weeks to see if this has helped stop vision loss.)
Yesterday was a bit different. The pressure in my right eye had come down a little, and I was first on the schedule for the afternoon. I made a bunch of pots in the morning and had great walks with the dog, trying to remain calm. It actually helps to know that the day of the surgery hurts like hell, but then you awake the next day feeling pretty normal.
SO, as with last week, they prep the eye, a technician holds your head in place, and your eyes are open for several minutes while they blast it. It is like being forced to hold your eyes open while an Audi's halogen headlight is pushed up to your eye, then a laser pokes 100 hot needles into your eye and leaves them there.
But like I say, knowing what it was like and that I would feel better overnight made it seem routine this time. You get used to things. We came home and again, the wise dog and cat were all over me. I couldn't open my eyes comfortably for an hour or 2, so stretched out in bed…and was quickly joined by warm cats and dogs…then it was FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH, an old favorite indeed….
advice for living:
Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- FLYING LINGERIE: just 2 weeks until V day!!!!!!
- bunny bouquet….
- on the one hand, painted mugs.. on the other, glut...
- gluten-free applesauce cake: no white sugar and s...
- 100 holes punched into my right eye: second glauc...
- "a hint of turquoise"
- speaking of that handle….
- whoa, LONG upper handle...
- glaucoma, sunglasses and new specs, and OH YES new...
- how to make a lamp from SCRATCH
- oh yeah, winter can be beautiful!
- 100 holes in my left eye is better than going blind
- a tale of 2 vases…or 3….
- Dill, Daisy and Scoop
- "everything's going to be OK…."
- great expectations….
- "if my eye surgeon can ____, then I can fix the oven"
- glaucoma is a B!TCH
- half of 3.3 million bucks...
- "we can be heroes, if just for one day…"
- not exactly bamboo….
- when cake is just like pottery….
- dogs haven't taken over my life….
- CRUSTY… a potter's workplace
- 4 days of winter...
- frozen margaritas delivered to your door….
- holy CATS number 2 in the world...
- 15,000 photos a year…..
- bubbly: not just champagne….
- 2016 seems like a BIG number….
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)