WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, January 14, 2015
"Gawdammit Mickey, get OUTTA MY BED"
My head hit the pillow, the light went out and....the chewing began. Behind my head!
Some background: the thermometer at the back door says ten below. That is one of the colder readings we have gotten at our house. Another fact is that the house is 150 years old, and there are crevices here and there amongst the river stones that make up the foundation. In summer we have little garter snakes going in and out, which gives me the willies (although they are harmless) but I figure they eat the mice that would come in otherwise. It is not summer now, though, is it?
SO, there is this gawdawful chewing in the wall behind my head in bed. All four of us are in the bed keeping warm, cat, dog, wife, me. That changes, with me banging on the wall, which accomplishes nothing. The cat moves to the floor behind the bed. I march off to another room and fall asleep. The wife and dog sleep through everything....
EXCEPT for the crashing and little fearful "cheepcheepcheep" sounds at midnight. I find the cat staring at the clothes hamper...I life the hamper and WOOHOO there goes Mickey, racing for the bed...Spike cat, I must say, seems merely amused by all this, because I am wondering why he is WATCHING the mouse and not kicking its azz.
Mickey gets under the bed and I am there, next to the cat and find...the hole. Just like in a cartoon, the little fukker chewed a hole in the baseboard so he could come out and...get in bed with us to keep warm? Because really, the kitchen is the other way! I get into bed and try to sleep...but there are periodic THUMPS for the next hour...right UNDER my head, as the mouse tries to come back out and the cat jumps at him.
Again, around one something, there are huge crashes and thumps...inches under my head...and that awful "cheepcheepcheep" sound a distressed mouse makes...Mickey is trapped in the corner, behind a book, 21 pound Spike cat ready to....well, he hasn't done much yet, has he? I was hoping for some VIOLENCE but Spike is so dang friendly....
OK, I figure I grab the little rodent and toss him out the door to make his way in the world. I am not a violent person, I wish him no harm, BUT HE DOES NOT BELONG IN MY BEDROOM. I don't care what little animals do, but they can't do it in my bedroom. I draw the line there....
So, pushing the book to hold his body I reach out to grab Mickey and get...BITTEN. I am trying to save this creature's life and he bites me....
There is no blood, but in my shock I drop him...he goes back behind the book. The wife hands me a glove. I grab again, and MICKEY GOES ON A ONE WAY TRIP TO MY SEPTIC TANK via the terlet.... and we all fall asleep again....
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- January is a four letter word...
- "man are you DUMB"
- so bad you have to have fun...
- Teapot Tuesday, a wily bank heist or 2 and a few i...
- Spike cat poses for his MUGSHOT (Monday!)
- 15 + years and no....?
- this is why and what I blog
- these are the last pitchers for ...well, a couple ...
- pouring pitchers and p!ss!ng!
- teapot on teapot action for Teapot Tuesday!
- hippos and crocs, dogs and cats....mugshot Monday!
- thrilling and amazing your guests with homemade ch...
- Get an exorcist!
- this is what ten below looks like....and why 25 se...
- "Gawdammit Mickey, get OUTTA MY BED"
- pitcher LOVE
- mug shot Monday: struck with an idea or 2....
- If these mugs are nice, you should see the blue on...
- those bunnies are bigger than my beagle....
- a tale of two teapots: first of twenty fifteen!
- visit ME!
- ROUGH BEHAVIOR: new year, new dishes
- the six year old apprentice....
- start the new year in the RED
- New Year's resolution scorecard: ZERO
- 2015: NEW YEAR RESOLUTION
- ▼ January (31)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)