Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, September 16, 2013

what is a meditation?

I was telling somebody the other day "lately I have been making all these little pitchers and bottles, none of them decorated.  Very unusual for me!  I usually spend a lot of time thinking about each item as I make and decorate it, but this sort of pottery doesn't take any thought at all.  You just sit there repeating shapes, thinking of everything and nothing, but not thinking about the pots at all...".

I have heard potters calling it "I am in the zone" when they are making a bunch of familiar shapes and items.  It is meditative!

I glazed these guys Sunday morning, they are still hot in the kiln, having reached around 2200 degrees Sunday evening, but a quick peek shows they are looking goooooood...... all green! Wait until you see what I do with them later today....

4 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Sometimes it's nice just being in that meditative state with our pots. It's sort of like long distance running without the sweat and sore muscles and stuff.

Anonymous said...

I totally get you about "the zone." Of course, for me it would not be pottery, but something else altogether.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I think I would like making a quantity of pots that are beautiful and that I enjoy. Something different than HAVING to make a bunch of stuff. I'm always amazed that you are so neat and tidy. I'd have glaze all over that nice blue sweater.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love being in that meditative mode....it kind of clears your brain from activity for a while. :)
Great vases!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.