Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, September 6, 2013

THIRTY YEARS ago today...

Thirty years ago today I began working in clay.
I went to Bennington College the first week of September, 1983 as a 17 YO freshman art student.  I saw a kiln being unloaded and a pot being turned on a wheel and was like "WHAT is that, I want to do that!".  And signed up and it was my favorite class that fall, and throughout college (I also studied architecture and education, but had a very clear favorite).
Thirty years is a long time.  I am VERY lucky to be able to practice this art as a career every day, it is so much fun and suits me very well.  EVERYBODY would be lucky if they found something that suited them so well when they were 17.

Here is a picture of me in the ceramics studio that first day.  (lower, in color)  The black in white was in the album too, taken a few months later just after I turned 18...thought I would toss that in...

The other pic?  I am walking the dog yesterday and a woman stops me "I saw you in the ITHACA TIMES! Great pictures!".
They interviewed me last month and I was wondering when they would get around to printing it....it is about pottery around here, and there are 5 artists quoted, but mostly me, and 2 out of the 3 pics too :) 

10 comments:

~ Sil in Corea said...

Excellent! Good publicity is always welcome. :-)

You were a cute youngster!

Barbara Rogers said...

I went to the Ithica Times link, couldn't find the article. Even did a search with your name. Help. I want to read all about you! Congrats on a life well lived! I do have you beat in age having started potting, but I did take a break...so it doesn't count.

Michèle Hastings said...

Congrats on 30 years of playing in the mud!

smartcat said...

It was thirty years ago today
Gary Rith got involved with clay.
He's always had a lot of style
That's guaranteed to raise a smile.
So raise a glass of cheer
For potting all these years....
*GARY RITH!*

(with apologies to Lennon/McCartney)

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I know, they have not gotten around to adding that article to the site...

Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool to have known so solidly your passion so young.

Hilary said...

Very cool. Congrats on thirty years of doing what you love and getting paid for it.

Emily SIL said...

Happy 30th Anniversary of finding your life's vocation.

When I see a Mark Ruffalo movie, I can't help but think how much he resembles you. But I look at a picture from 30 years ago and I think you look like one of the Brady brothers!

smalltownme said...

Very cool. One of my son's best friends just started at Bennington this year.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Whoohoo! Nice article! Here it is for those who could not find the working link -

http://www.ithaca.com/special_sections/the-mud-arts-ceramics-in-ithaca/article_8bbbacac-1bbe-11e3-8f72-001a4bcf887a.html

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.