Raku is a fast fire process involving a lotta flames and drama. Martha had a raku party on Sunday, and there were maybe 12 of us there. Above, Chris and I mixed some glazes...
The kiln in this case is just a wire cage with ceramic insulation set atop bricks with a small burner blowing in fire....
I had 2 pieces in the first batch. The kiln goes up from zero to 1000 plus degrees in a half hour. You sorta look inside, see glowing pots and know they are ready to be taken out so you lift the lid off and pull out the glowing hot pots and then dumped into a trash can full of paper and sawdust for the smoky reduction (adds color and effects)
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Monday, August 16, 2010
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- like splitting and stacking 2 cords of wood....
- a pack of bichons and poodles....
- "dreaming of better bone-on"
- Subaru Saturday....
- happy Saturday ya'll :)
- Georges Le Soq murders Stanley Zuccini for breakfast!
- Glenn Beck: NOT MLK
- between the tigers and the penguins...
- lions and tigers and bears OH MY!
- oh joy, TUESDAY!
- and that was Monday
- blue jeans 2010
- Sunday...celebrating new BABB members
- the big road trip....
- BACK TO bicycle SCHOOL
- hobo style....
- I am the walrus! And flamingo!
- Wednesday already?
- raku = pyromaniac party!
- a few more NY city shots....
- NEW YAWK, New Yawk
- OHMYGOSH :)
- Mary was asking....
- Penny beagle cuteness for your morning :)
- I am the walrus!
- its cool :)
- home again home again
- in about 2 hours....
- flat rocks!
- COFFEE with CHRISTI
- Penny goes on a small road trip
- a couple of new things....
- wife out of town = PARTY ON GARTH
- le flamingos, le macaroni burritos, le monkey, le ...
- pant, gasp....
- my family :)
- me, my friends, our HANGUPS
- 4 years!
- pink flamingos!
- BAMF ART BLOG BUNCH SUMMER SHOW!
- le sunday!
- ▼ August (47)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
Wow Gary! Those are beautiful.. And you make much better dumpster fires than I do!!
Completely awesome... gives new meaning to the term 'hot pot'. :)
I love, love love to Raku! Yay to fire and beautiful colors and rich blacks!
yeh baby...RAKU woohoo!!! you make a mean glaze mr G... :P
Those pots are stunningly beautiful! The process is kinda like magic, too.
That is awesome, and the pots are gorgeous!
This is super cool. I had no idea...
RAKUUUUUU!!!! my favorite way to spend a day. Jeff and I both have raku kilns and we can't wait to fire them up again.
Oh wow that's a fun firing party!
Love the results too!
I'm soooo jealous! You're a man who knows how to work a set of tongs ;o)
Love those vases Gary! What a neat process.
Oh how fun! We love Raku parties! they are so way cool...! :) Love the pots...:)
raku!!!! gotta love it!
Without the pottery and all, it looks like a camping trip: a bunch of folks standing around the fire with greenery everywhere. (Hurry up, Autumn!!)
Post a Comment