Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

GRAPES: making tourist crap....?

SO, finding myself making majolica pots and having a ball at it, I am struck with the idea "put some grapes on there???" and YES, it occurs to me that my badass self is moving from the usual HIGH ART to.....
tourist crap.

No, really! I may be enjoying myself and doing a good job, but isn't it a cliche to go to Mexico or Italy and buy a little jug with grapes on it?  They collect dust on the mantel for years and then they go for a dollar at a garage sale.... I made this fine pitcher yesterday and what do I see at a friend's house?  A little jug with grapes on it from a trip to Italy, no joke!

SO, what is the difference?  And do I care?  I make, as you know, what I feel like, and this is what I felt like doing and it turned out very well, if I may say. Also, the tourist crap might be made with nasty ingredients like lead...in a factory! Then they slap "Made in Mexico" on the bottom and get it out in front of the cruise ships....

I have other ideas about how to make grapes on things, plus I am probably doing a show at a winery in September, and tourists NEED this kind of crap from Ithaca, don't they? ;)

(new pitchers by Gary Rith)

6 comments:

Lori Buff said...

It’s a continual dilemma in art. If you make what you like someone else should like it too. Better that they buy hand crafted pitchers with grapes on them that you made then something else that isn’t even made by a local artisan.

smalltownme said...

The grapes are a great tie in with the local wine industry.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm a fan of the grapes. yours and the ones in my bottle. :)

Anna said...

grapes are good! recently I turned a cylinder into a wind carafe by drawing grapes on it... I think your majolica jug is nicer :) good luck at the winery.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Didn't I buy a bowl from you with sculpted grapes on it? I think i gave it to my mother in law a couple of years ago for Christmas. I have a berry bowl with sculpted blueberries. Love them both. I think they're only kitschy if they're done poorly. Yours look great.

Trish said...

The new work is lovely, Gary.. enjoying the posts of your summer adventures.. Cheers. Trish

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.