Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, July 6, 2015

a sort of watery effect....



Right, so I say it so often:  I had a dream January 1 to make flowers on pots and have experimented with it ever since.  One thing I have noticed in old celadon pots from east Asia is that if you look closely,  they may have a subtle pattern, like flowers, under the light green glaze.  Sometimes not subtle at all, either way, I love it. Blue flowers under a spring green celadon being the latest version, very nice effect, those colors together--they melt together in delightful ways.  I am not accustomed to sitting there all afternoon painting flowers but find it very....meditative?  Yes, meditative, the opposite of my usual hectic running around....

4 comments:

Lori Buff said...

They are very pretty. I find painting on my pots very meditative also, it’ puts us in this zen space. Enjoy it.

Barbara Rogers said...

You've got a lovely pattern going there. That reminds me how I found out that too much cobalt made a flux in the glaze...and it became very runny indeed. You've apparently got just the right mix!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Lovely! Very springy!

Caroline said...

Very relaxing. I'm back into my card making after a long absence. So I will be doing a bit of colouring also. I can't draw though. Thank you to those talented people who design the rubber stamps.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.