Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Grand day out...




Friday may have been the NICEST day Ithaca has ever seen, at about 80 degrees and no humidity with a light breeze, and BOY did people come out to party.

As I said, it was the Ithaca Artist Market at the farmer's market, with 70 artists, music, beer, wine, food in the permanent structure on the lakefront where people go weekend mornings for the local cheese, apples, etc.  Well, artists take it over one afternoon and night a year, and hoooo boy it is my favorite hometown event of the year. Seems like I know EVERYBODY! It makes me so happy to see them all...AND Friday was one of my best single sales day ever.

Some notes:  show began at 2 pm, so usually you pack up the day before for a show then you're out at the crack of dawn on the road...not with this one.  I had all kinds of time in the morning to pack and do other stuff, ride the few miles over to Cayuga lake and setup.  The wife took the bus over after work.

Last show I did earlier this month, my first 2 customers handed me fifties and hundreds for small purchases and so I started the show, much as I liked making money, out of change.  Friday was a GOOD CHANGE show.  Nearly everybody had exact change for me.

I was also next to the nice Hungarian family making crepes.  Some people grabbed a pastry and left but most order a custom crepe...which is then cooked on the spot and topped.  It takes a few minutes, longer when the line builds and GOOD GOLLY waiting for crepes is great for my business.  What do people do while waiting for crepes????? BROWSE the pots next to the crepes :)

AND notable, after 32 years of making pots, I had my first EVER BOAT sale:  people pulled up at the dock you see below, popped in, bought some of my bowls, got back in the boat and left.....




You will recall my old pal Christi, artist and illustrator.  She recently got married!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a perfect kind of show! You need to make future plans with the crepe people--where are they headed next?

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Whoohooo! Let's hear it for great sales and fun art fair days. Shopping by boat is very Floridian so you will be already used to it when you get your fabulous winter home in Key West. :)

bartster said...

Looks like a wonderful event in a beautiful setting. So are you figuring out how to customize crepe recipes for your "home use"?

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Congratulations on such a great day of sales, Gary!
And congrats to Christi, too!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.