Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Thursday, July 31, 2014
gargoyles and grotesques C'EST MOI...
My family nickname, among other nicknames (YES, I had more than one) was GARGOYLE. It was used most often. I was a rogue and up to no good, so the fact that I was NOT EXACTLY a good boy combined with the close spelling and sound to Gary: no brainer. I was Gargoyle.
Did you know that a gargoyle is specifically a drain spout, and a grotesque is just a nasty/fun sculpture on the side of a building? Gargoyle has come to mean any grotesque figure on a building, actually. I have not put one on a mug in a while...and WHY NOT???? (need to make more...)
Have an awesome Thursday!
(new mugs by Gary Rith)
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 4:30 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- gargoyles and grotesques C'EST MOI...
- QUICHE LA POODLE or real men don't BAKE vegan quic...
- blowin' the roof off....
- mugshot Monday and MORE
- bees' knees!
- "ask permission before you take photos"
- Artist Market 2-8
- "so this is what being self-employed is like.."
- shysters, slackers and slick cons....
- free POTtery and a dog and pony show!
- mug shot Monday, ahoy!
- Campbell Meadow
- lions and tigers and bears OH MY!
- she tells me "never eat fruit"
- she came bearing sweaters....
- zip your lip?
- I am in a lot of other people's kitchens this morn...
- an 11 piece Ukranian jazz band in my bathroom
- (almost) running out the door...
- the BIG SCHLEP
- ROAD TRIP: when good potters (and good dogs) go B...
- little pieces...
- the fabric of life: you weather the ups and downs
- when Mother Nature sends you perfection...
- bowled over...
- it was quite muggy.....
- "bite me!"
- teapot Tuesday and a fond look back at June
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
I've always liked a good gargoyle, but never knew they began as downspouts!
I learn something every day. Did you see the Darth Vader grotesque on the link? Cool!
The gargoyles of Notre Dame are amazing...that's what I'd go see if I went to Paris (among a few other things!) Glad to say I know one now! ;)-
I'm guessing you've already made a teapot with a gargoyle spout...
I can't believe that was your nickname; I'm not buying this story Gary. :)
Gargoyle mugs!!! Amazing! I love Claudia's guess. Is it true? Have you made such a teapot? <3!
Post a Comment