WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Tuesday, July 15, 2014
zip your lip?
(YES, my kiln is fixed now and working great :)
SO LIKE I SAY, I was at a fair all weekend. I was so flippin' tired Monday evening I think I fell asleep at 7:15 and slept all the way through....with detours here and there through dreams: I met the president again. He was doing local theater in my town and liked to act! Michelle too...they are both quite awesome...and TALL. I am small. They are tall.
So, at fairs, unlike McDonalds, say, or Smallmart, only nice people come up and talk to me, generally. Except for, like I said, the dude who was sleeping on the sidewalk between beers.... although I have to admit, he was friendly. ANYWAY, you meet nice people at fairs.
BUT. There are the 3 types of people you would rather talk to less (other than homeless winos sleeping on the sidewalk). They might be well-intentioned and friendly, but you always wish they would SHUT UP AND GO AWAY.
1) How many suburban or country ladies of a certain age have sniffed to their friend "hmm, that's DIFFERENT". I mean, it may not be a huge insult, but it is so laughably small-minded and ignorant. What are they used to????? My work isn't THAT WEIRD. Is it? ;)
2) The other potters. Oh sure, some are your friends. But customers assume 1) all potters know each other across the universe "oh, you must know Joe, a potter from Kathmandu?" and also 2) that we hang out with each other. NO. Do all plumbers hang out together?
And like this past weekend. There is a potter at this fair every year that... I do not like. I can't explain why. Probably because he acts like we are competitors, which we are, in a way, competitors for customers. But I know this: our work is not that similar (his is brown, for example) and I have great sales at the event so I don't worry about him...does he worry about me? But he masked a compliment to me this weekend in the guise of trying to get something from me "Ooooh, you have a wonderful burgundy red glaze! What is the recipe?" I just smiled and winked. "OH! You're not going to tell me?". There are times in life you just smile and nod, keeping your mouth shut.
3) Which brings us to the third group of people that irk you when you are at a fair, usually women of a certain age to elderly: the ones who chat and admire your work then tell you loudly "oh, I am trying to get rid of stuff, but your work is nice!". Just go ahead and THRUST IN THE KNIFE AND TWIST IT then JAB AGAIN AND AGAIN until I am lying on the ground in agony....
if only people could realize that it would be be better if they said nothing or just "nice work". The long list of people who feel obligated to tell you they are downsizing makes you wonder if they think their honesty is polite???
BONUS! 4) The old guy. There are always these old retirees that hang around telling you about how they used to work for the ____ and like to vacation at ____ and their grandkids ____ and kids ____ and then they moved to ____ and have you even seen ____ work, because THAT WORK IS REALLY GOOD.
You realize that for many people you don't matter, you simply have ears and they want to yak at you.
Now, that is a very negative list, and nothing like, say, the kind of nasty customer who turns up in McDonalds or Smallmart, and really, you have 1 of those for 10 awesome people.
So, who IS my customer? Anybody and everybody. I used to say "the woman with the Coach bag!" and that is still true :) The person who likes to look at art, appreciates handmade, may need to give a gift to somebody, and generally understands what you do.
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- gargoyles and grotesques C'EST MOI...
- QUICHE LA POODLE or real men don't BAKE vegan quic...
- blowin' the roof off....
- mugshot Monday and MORE
- bees' knees!
- "ask permission before you take photos"
- Artist Market 2-8
- "so this is what being self-employed is like.."
- shysters, slackers and slick cons....
- free POTtery and a dog and pony show!
- mug shot Monday, ahoy!
- Campbell Meadow
- lions and tigers and bears OH MY!
- she tells me "never eat fruit"
- she came bearing sweaters....
- zip your lip?
- I am in a lot of other people's kitchens this morn...
- an 11 piece Ukranian jazz band in my bathroom
- (almost) running out the door...
- the BIG SCHLEP
- ROAD TRIP: when good potters (and good dogs) go B...
- little pieces...
- the fabric of life: you weather the ups and downs
- when Mother Nature sends you perfection...
- bowled over...
- it was quite muggy.....
- "bite me!"
- teapot Tuesday and a fond look back at June
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)