I have never made quiche before in my life...and have not eaten any either...cannot have dairy ya know--and when I was a kid in the 70s it was popular amongst rednecks to say that men who ate quiche were not real men: I am the LEAST real man you have ever met, a small unthreatening guy who makes art and cooks and bakes (I don't do windows) wears glasses and has his nose stuck in a book all the time and NOT a meat eater.... of course, the average REAL MAN sitting in his lazy boy eating Buffalo wings probably lacks my RIPPLING ABS and EYE POPPING BICEPS with which I could either kick a real man's ass or at least outrun him in a fight ;)
Lately I have been messing around with an excellent gluten-free pie crust made with rice flour **(making Samosas, the little savory Indian pastries made with potato and veggies :) and I had all this broccoli...but had forgotten the sweet potatoes I needed to make a certain dish...so was flipping through the VEGAN STONER cookbook and saw their vegan quiche and HOLY CATS! 2 ingredients, a crust, veggies, bake, that is IT?! Oh my. Even cats were fooled and wanted some.
(thanks to the wife for the fine pictures)
** white rice flour pie crust, 9 inch single (I used a huge deep dish pan and doubled recipe)
-3/4 cup white rice flour, stir in a little salt and half teaspoon xanthan gum, thoroughly cut in 1/3 cup earth balance margerine then add a teaspoon honey and 2 TBS cold water, stir well to form a ball and either chill or roll out to form a crust between wax paper, then use to line pan, prick bottom with fork, preheat about 5-10 minutes before adding filling
Gary's Third Pottery Blog
When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....
WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, July 30, 2014
QUICHE LA POODLE or real men don't BAKE vegan quiche....
Posted by Gary's third pottery blog at 4:29 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- gargoyles and grotesques C'EST MOI...
- QUICHE LA POODLE or real men don't BAKE vegan quic...
- blowin' the roof off....
- mugshot Monday and MORE
- bees' knees!
- "ask permission before you take photos"
- Artist Market 2-8
- "so this is what being self-employed is like.."
- shysters, slackers and slick cons....
- free POTtery and a dog and pony show!
- mug shot Monday, ahoy!
- Campbell Meadow
- lions and tigers and bears OH MY!
- she tells me "never eat fruit"
- she came bearing sweaters....
- zip your lip?
- I am in a lot of other people's kitchens this morn...
- an 11 piece Ukranian jazz band in my bathroom
- (almost) running out the door...
- the BIG SCHLEP
- ROAD TRIP: when good potters (and good dogs) go B...
- little pieces...
- the fabric of life: you weather the ups and downs
- when Mother Nature sends you perfection...
- bowled over...
- it was quite muggy.....
- "bite me!"
- teapot Tuesday and a fond look back at June
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)
- Gary's third pottery blog
- I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.
That does look good. No wonder Spike wanted some.
Wow! That looks gorgeous! Can you fill me in on the filling? (I couldn't find quiche using the link to their website...must be a cookbook only thing.) I had to give up quiche when I had to give up eggs. I'm guessing a vegan recipe would solve that problem. I make a couple of crustless varieties but if they have more than 1-2 eggs, I can't eat them.
My real men love quiche. I'm making it tonight, as a matter of fact.
I love love love quiche. And the one man in our house eats it too. I wish he baked it, but you can't have everything . . . or can you?
Post a Comment