WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Saturday, July 26, 2014
"ask permission before you take photos"
I was here in town yesterday, on the waterfront at Ithaca Artist Market at the farmer's market. Our farmer's market is HUGE, like the Empire State Building, and just as iconic (for Ithaca). People come from around the world to eat curried cauliflower and buy striped eggplant on the lakefront...but one day a year it is all art. 80-90 of us! It is a large permanent structure, and is awesome because all the booths are ready and waiting for you to simply add stuff (you don't need to pack tables!) under a roof (you don't need to pack a tent!) and you park next to your spot (NO SCHLEPPING!).
Customers get the lake, food, music, art, so 2-8 on a July Friday becomes a BIG party.
I go 12 months without seeing some people, and it is a HUGE homecoming for the town, seeing all your friends! The wife came along and was a good luck charm, and I was easily able to exceed my goals for the day.
How to describe this. Many people take my picture. The pics above were taken by Stev0 and Nance. But strangers? Someone taking a picture of my whole booth and others is one thing, but I like to be asked. Nobody ever asks.
A young woman who looked Chinese quickly walked up and grabbed my hippo teapot, positioned it just so, and started to take its picture before I jumped in front of it and warned her to get permission. She and the people with her ran off. It was probably innocent but.....the wife reminds me of scouts from Chinese industry going to stores and fairs and scooping ideas, no SH!T.......
here is the lakefront and docks--boats pull right up to the market....
My booth, down on the right with the wee blue table...
My best pal Christi Sobel was down the way....don't YOU want those hand painted shoes...or the cute kid who could wear them?
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- gargoyles and grotesques C'EST MOI...
- QUICHE LA POODLE or real men don't BAKE vegan quic...
- blowin' the roof off....
- mugshot Monday and MORE
- bees' knees!
- "ask permission before you take photos"
- Artist Market 2-8
- "so this is what being self-employed is like.."
- shysters, slackers and slick cons....
- free POTtery and a dog and pony show!
- mug shot Monday, ahoy!
- Campbell Meadow
- lions and tigers and bears OH MY!
- she tells me "never eat fruit"
- she came bearing sweaters....
- zip your lip?
- I am in a lot of other people's kitchens this morn...
- an 11 piece Ukranian jazz band in my bathroom
- (almost) running out the door...
- the BIG SCHLEP
- ROAD TRIP: when good potters (and good dogs) go B...
- little pieces...
- the fabric of life: you weather the ups and downs
- when Mother Nature sends you perfection...
- bowled over...
- it was quite muggy.....
- "bite me!"
- teapot Tuesday and a fond look back at June
- ▼ July (30)
- ► 2013 (366)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)