Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Monday, April 8, 2013

feeding the BEAST....

I was out running with Ray and Stev0 Sunday afternoon and it was a LONG AND WINDING road, believe me (have you ever been running up a big hill into the wind and wanted to puke?  NO?  WUSS!).
As we neared the end of THAT ordeal I tantalize my 2 pals
"when I get home, I shall slice and roast 2 sweet potatoes, mash up some guac, then me and the wife will make tortillas"
Stev0 and Raymundo are like "oh geez, that sounds GOOD" and I continue
"The wife and I like to make tortillas together.  One person can make them, of course, but with 2 people I get to operate the hot pan and she has the rolling pin, forming and flattening the dough....mostly I get to sip wine and make sure they aren't burning...."
and Ray and Stev0 are like
"OH GOSH now you're making us hungry!" and I go on
"well, have you got an avocado at home?" and Stev0 did but Raymundo is like
"NO, It's just me and Scoop the cat....I wonder what we will have for dinner....and we already had tuna for lunch...."  I doubt if Scoop the cat would mind tuna again....

Next time Raymundo or YOU can make your own tortillas too! ***


Speaking of feeding the BEAST, the wife and I continue to cat sit sweet little Puffy...who is lonely, poor thing... I play with her until she is panting with exhaustion and boredom and climbs up on the table to stare out the window and relax....





***
Homemade tortillas, again!
--we diced 2 small sweet potatoes, put them into a pyrex dish with a little hot oil and spice and roasted them about 40 minutes
--the guac is the usual--mash an avocado with lime juice and MY SECRET INGREDIENT or if you do not know what that is, various spices and hot sauces....add diced tomato

those were the only 2 fillings needed for this yummy yummy big pair of burritos

--tortillas:  4 good sized ones
--stir in a bowl 1.5 cup flour, 2 TBS oil, dash of salt and 1/2 cup of water, then knead it on the counter, making sure it is not too sticky or too hard, divide into 4
--warm up a fry pan to medium high--no oil or anything needed
--with your hands and rolling pin, flatten out a tortilla, place carefully into the hot pan--flip every 30 seconds or so, letting it get crisp and seared on each side with awesome toasted bits, then fold a towel over it and start the next!

10 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

Your tortillas look amazing! Taunting your friends with food is a great sport Gary. :)
Puffy is so cute. And not even a little puffy. :0

~ Sil in Corea said...

I sure do like your recipes, Gary. Reeeally don't have a good setup here for cooking, but it will happen, never fear. ;-)

Lori Buff said...

Those do sound good.

Michèle Hastings said...

sweet potatoes are soooo good in burritos. i like to add black beans too.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I am now hungry!!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Puffy!!!! I want to come visit. The burritos might also have something to do with that.

smalltownme said...

I would play with Puffy! And sip wine! And make guac! Hey, Cornell is on my son's list of potential colleges so we may be doing a big northeast college tour this summer!

cookingwithgas said...

we love us some sweet potatoes.....hummmmm

Emily SIL said...

Scoop is one beautiful cat!

Glass Half Full Gal/aka FarmersWife said...

I'm going to try these with the kids! I have a cast iron griddle I use for tortillas and grilled cheese sandwiches! AND, being down in South Texas I have a tortilla warmer that I line with a towel! SAWEEET!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.