Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

when pottery meets BLACK COMEDY

But first, a wee HAIKU:

Godzilla eating
A tasty human being
Is hilarious!

I have to admit a thing or 2: I am not really into dragons and sh!t. Dragons have their place, but I really prefer cheesy, campy, destructive and awesome Godzilla and crappy B movie science fiction and toys from my childhood (see Beastie Boys video below, that is what I mean--they have the same inspiration). It is different, liking that stuff for a laugh and its aesthetic humor, compared to loving fantasy.

You know I have made a lot of monsters lately, but last Sunday night I was falling asleep, and you know this is why there is paper at the bedside: I start laughing, wake up, and tell the wife
"what if Godzilla was holding a bowl full of people to snack upon, like doritos????" and I doodled it out, as you see below. The appeal, to me as a potter and sculptor, is making a tiny little bowl on the wheel, as I would any other bowl, and incorporating it...hilarious indeed!
Last night I was like
"monsters having a teaparty???"


(pottery and sketch by Gary Rith)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't know: in light of the coming Superbowl festivities, I'm thinking more of popcorn.

Pass the salt.

Urp.

smartcat said...

Loving those Garyzillas....I like the whole shebang...from St. George's dragon to Godzilla to Komodo Dragons....not fussy here!

BTW the soda bread was delicious!

gz said...

I like the gnome at the top!!!

Lori Buff said...

Oh yes, a monster tea party would be fun.

Elizabeth Grimes said...

I think I could get into monsters if they were having a tea party. This is hilarious!!! Love it.

Michèle Hastings said...

:o)

smalltownme said...

Garyzillas! Chuckle. And that flippin' gnome at the top! These are so cool!

Unknown said...

Love them seriously, but you keep forgetting the Ketchup...lol lol :)

Joe Troncale said...

They taste like chicken?

denis said...

Crunch! Crunch! Crunch!
Love it!!!

Glennis said...

Garyzillas! Yikes!

Busy Bee Suz said...

I'm not into dragons either...but yours are cute. Well, they are cute while eating humans!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.