Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

SANTA strikes again!!!!

OK, so like I was saying: me and the wife are out and about yesterday, at the grocery, you know, stocking UP before today's mini-blizzard, and on the way home its like
"we need a bottle of cheapo jug wine"
and so we pull into the friendly wine store and after the friendly dude there has answered my question ("other than chardonnay, what is all this other stuff???" which took awhile) we wander down a bit to the county reuse center. The county dump has this awesome store full of old doors, computers, TVs, fun stuff like that, luckily, miles from the dump--a real store. They have full-time employees that make sure stuff is clean and works (like this mac computer I am using now...we bought it dead cheap from them last summer).

We are walking up to the door a minute after they open, and there, out front is a......KILN. I am stopped in my tracks. It is my dream kiln. Every time my old kiln breaks down, which is a lot, I call up Andrew at the clay supply place

"Andrew, my gawdammn kiln broke down....how much would a SMALL L and L kiln cost, without a computer controller?" and he is friendly and jolly and will tell me, depending, hundreds, nay THOUSANDS it would cost......so I keep repairing my gawdammn old kiln...

And there, yesterday, sitting in front of the reuse center yesterday, is a dead cheap, SMALL L and L kiln, used by my guess only a few times, and basically in new, mint condition, with a bunch of shelves and bricks and even the owners book. Beautifully cared for and stored. I am there taking it apart, looking it over, and this young bearded dude is hovering around (that happened with this computer last summer--I had to fling some elbows to keep other shoppers away). So, young bearded dude is hovering around, and I reach out and remove the price tag...the kiln is not free, but its CHEAP. The cheapest used kiln I have even seen, and soooo perfect....young bearded dude is like
"you gonna buy that, because I..."
and I cut him off
"YES. I am buying it" and I throw some elbows and stand in front protectively while the wife gets the tiny little subaru.....

Not sure yet how all this fits together in the studio, but so far.....



11 comments:

smartcat said...

COOL! It looks new. A present just in time for Twelfth Night.....(celebrated by our local chorus as a Feast of Fools) I am so excited for you!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

Sweet!

-Rob, Simple Circle Studios said...

At the dump?! THE DUMP?!? I have three kilns sitting around that DON'T work; why would someone throw away a kiln that DOES? It never ceases to amaze me what people just throw out...savages. Good news for you though!

Reverend Awesome said...

Good find! I don't think I've ever run across a kiln in a thrift shop, but if I did I probably wouldn't even know what I was looking at!

~ Sil in Corea said...

You must have some awesome karma!!! Congratulations, you lucky guy!

Michèle Hastings said...

great score! we have an old L&L that was GIVEN to me by Sue Babine's sister (Sue is a LNHC clay member, you may know her). It works great, no computer... it is bigger and older than yours but is in good shape. Jeff replaced the elements once and a switch.

Unknown said...

Wow what a find!!! A great way to start the new year!

smalltownme said...

Oh, you are one lucky fellow!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, SCORE!!! :)
What a happy way to start the new year, Gary!

Cheryl said...

YAY!!!! What a great find at the reuse center...it definitely was sitting there waiting for you. Don't you just love it when you find something that you have wanted forever really cheap or free? YAY!!

JB said...

Our pottery club was deperate for a new kiln when my sister Annie's school decided to give there's away. Sounds fantastic but 12 months in storage then 12 more months for the electrician to get it all together and finally on Christmas eve this year it was successfully fired. Free meant a lot of patience and waiting before it was useful to us

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.