Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Sunday, January 15, 2012

jingly jangly...

OK, yesterday is like, a rush of EVERYTHING. I feel like there is this monstrous stack of things to accomplish, like planes stacked up at O'Hare waiting to take off. I was, you know, tense and nervous and couldn't relax, right? Jingly jangly. I s'pose that is how the self-employed dude should be: pushing self forward.
ANYWAY, here is my point: early on I opened the cooled kiln and this little beauty was in there. You will recall that a) I got a new (used!) kiln a week or 2 ago--it is working beautifully and b) late in the day? The last thing on the list was to make on the wheel some mugs, bowls, another teapot like the one pictured below (except with Godzilla up top---never done that before, but that green glaze screams for Godzilla) and here is the thing potters may know:
You might be racing around all day, busy with all this stuff, but you know what relaxes your mind? Throwing, making pots. Sure, its work, but its meditation too.....

(new pottery by Gary Rith)

(me on the bridge behind our house with the dawg, below, the wife with Spike cat, Penny beagle, Buster black lab)



This was the doodle for the teapot, last week....

6 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I am so happy that you had snow and not me that I could jump for joy! Love the teapot!

Shortstuff said...

I'm with Meredith. Love the snow for you. Thanks for sharing virtually.
The critters look like they're happy that Mrs. Tastycakes is having a read. That's their cue to cuddle around isn't it?

Unknown said...

Love the snowy pic, they always look so pretty.
The teapot is awesome Gary, I love that little dog on top!

Lorraine said...

I want your snow. I'm in Utah and we are unusually dry. So I am living vicariously through your snow photos. When I lived in NYC we actually got more snow. Who knew?! and of course, love your pottery.Do you sell your pots at the Ithaca Festival?

smartcat said...

Cold but no snow here....no complaints from me. I must say Penny sure looks cute in the white. Love that teapot...how bout one with a dragon? Like the idea of one with a hippo.....and maybe someday a dragon?

JB said...

I simply can't imagine walking the dogs in snow. I guess they need it and don't mind their feet freezing. I like your teapot doodle as those few lines were all you needed to follow through from thought to product.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.