Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Friday, January 27, 2012

so, I was talkin' with PETE just the other day and he is like : =^..^=


(coolio monster teapot, eh wot????)
(Thanks PETE! for getting the ball rolling, it has been so much fun to try)
Seriously, Pete sees my heart mugs (post down a couple of days) and he is like
"could you fiddle with a heart shape and get a cat shape? People love cats!" and I am like
"Pete, that has GOT ME THINKING" and literally, the wheels turn and I go down and get to work, and finish these guys Thursday.
Pete is also, like "you can't make them cheesy" and I am like
"NO. Not cutesy either"
Left to right below, my first idea to my third, with detours:
1,2, 3: my first thought was add ears and eyes etc. to a plain mug or bowl, and try a puppy then
I was thinking
4,5 "try to fiddle the rim into a cat ear shape (hard to do in theory, but I got what I wanted!) and later glaze the outside blue, inside clear with a painted cat face on the bottom" and finally, at the last minute, one more
6: try to fiddle the ears on the rim PLUS make an actual cat face on the bottom.
I like ALL of the ideas, and they will be fired and done in a few days....


(pottery by Gary Rith)

18 comments:

Shortstuff said...

Very clever. We have a shop downtown called the Cat House that sells all things cat. You should email them and see if they'll buy some!

smalltownme said...

I really need one of those!

Reverend Awesome said...

Absolutely darling!

smartcat said...

Well you know my partiality to cats....so yes!

Many years ago I started trying some cat bowls with ears shaped from the rim and the face painted on the interior....life got in the way and they ended up in the driveway. Yours are better!

Barbara Rogers said...

I love Pete's advice, and I think you're onto something. I gave all my relations animal mugs a Christmas past, with little feet even...faces on the opposite of the handle. I like the faces on the rim you've designed!!!

Anonymous said...

Catthrowpomorphism.
I'm going to have to save up more $$

Lori Buff said...

cute!!!!!!

Michèle Hastings said...

NICE! as a lefty, i would like to make a suggestion... how about making some with the handles on the opposite side for us left handed mug holders? i know we are the minority, maybe on Etsy you could give the option of ordering a lefty handle.

Summer said...

Yo, what about making the handle into a tail?? Could do this more with color than shape if shape would be hard...love them! I most like the ones that are just the rim shaped like a cat. A cat tongue could be cute..

Gary's third pottery blog said...

I have thought a lot about the cat tail handle, believe me, but ergonomically and comfort wise, I firmly believe that a flat and wide handle like these works best. But maybe......

Joe Troncale said...

I think the next thing is your Yogi Berra series with handles on both sides (to help your left-handed bloggers, pin stripes, deja vu all over again, etc.
Love the images of the cats. You are taking things to the next level for sure! Great work!

Joe Troncale said...

P.S. I think the face on the rim is better. It is just like a cat to stare you down!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Thanks Joe--I am not deciding which I like better, but I may prefer the 6th once the fired pieces are out, yowza!

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

OHMYGOD!!! Gary made a cat mug! Crazy Cat Lady here faints with happiness! !!!!!! can't stop exclaiming! (sign me up once they're out of the kiln)

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

could a cat teapot be far behind???

Unknown said...

Wow, brilliant idea Gary, truly love them. I too like the one's with the cat face on the inside rim, and the ears on the outside. On the other hand I like the ears shaped on the mug, is there anyway you can incorporate those two ideas? Absolutely wonderful!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

Maureen I tried that first, actually, and then moved the face to the mug bottom and liked that better :)

Stem Cell Therapy for Dogs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.