Gary's Third Pottery Blog

When the going gets tough, dragons gonna get going....

Gary's third pottery blog

WRITE TO ME! garyrith@yahoo.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016

Thursday, January 23, 2014

there is a good reason people have a TILE BACKSPLASH on their kitchen counters



You would think I have nothing better to do than make and give US pots this season!  Sure, why not?  I mean, the Christmas rush is behind me and I am experimenting!
You see here the test tiles I have been making lately for a decorating scheme I have been working on since...1988.  Maybe I am getting what I want, finally?! YES I am.
SO, it started here:  I made a couple of test tiles in the kiln and kept thinking of OTHER ways I could blob and whirl this blue under glazes....I have, um, 6...7..8? green glazes alone.  5 of those look good with the blue.  Then there is the other couple of colors, the last and 9th being red on the right.  (you will not be surprised to hear that I started a NEW set of test tiles with variations..based on these test tiles...)
I put the first couple of tiles on the kitchen counter backsplash so I could think about GLAZE while I made toast and chopped onions or made martinis....and added tiles until I got 9 on one side of the stove and very large ones on the other side.
Then I asked the wife if they could stay there, it looks so festive!  She liked the idea, so yesterday GOOD GOD what a mess I scrubbed the hell out of the walls and everything else.  After, um, taking these pics.
We have been here 8 years.  8 years worth of dried spaghetti sauce and chili on that wall....

In other tile news, I MADE FRAMES! Have an awesome Thursday!


10 comments:

Barb Matijevich said...

LOVE these!!! Are you making some to sell?? What sizes and how much???

Barbara Rogers said...

Gary, great looking kitchen tiles...and the frames are wonderful. Thanks for your comments!

cookingwithgas said...

Great tiles.
On the jeans, I call that hand me ups when they are given by someone younger than you.
I finally got rid of some that my daughter wore in Jr.high and high school.
Plates, they are a bother...but I love eating handmade.

bartster said...

Seeing the tiles all together along with tea pots and canisters is quite a sight! The effect is wonderful!

Michèle Hastings said...

the tiles look great in the kitchen, glad you decided to make them permanent.

Claudia from Idiot's Kitchen said...

I love the tile backsplash...especially the purple and new red tiles!

smalltownme said...

What a happy kitchen!

Lori Buff said...

It does look festive. It only seems right that we should make our own back splashes. What else would you do, buy mass produced tiles with no personality?

I love the frames, brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Lately I've been wanting a tile backsplash behind my stove and my sink...yours is cute.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love the colorful backsplash…what a great idea. Oh, and way more fun than dried spaghetti. :)
Have a great weekend!!!

Top pottery blog 2015

2014 winner

Me and Missus Tastycakes

Me and Missus Tastycakes

garyrith.com

ME, the TV interview :)

my etsy gallery

my second blog, 2008-2009

my first blog, 2006-2008

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am a full-time studio potter, sculptor, and dog walker, married to superhawt Missus Tastycake.