WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Wednesday, May 1, 2013
they PAY ME for this sh!t....
The thing with being a professional potter is that through word of mouth year after year customers come back and introduce their friends to you....it has a lot of momentum, this informal advertising system. Like the snowball rolling down the hill.
The same thing happens when you are a PROFESSIONAL dog walker. And cat sitter.
I got into this because people routinely asked me to care for their pets because artists never have any plans, right? Just hanging around the house all day eating cookies and looking for things to do. Like come over to your house and clean their cat box for them.
It was getting ridiculous! The last straw was the two weeks I cared for somebody's pets...receiving neither a SIX PACK of beer or even A THANK YOU. Nothing. I was chatting with my vet about this, saying "I am not going to say no anymore, but I am gonna say 'I do a good job, I am reliable, I never go on vacations, I know how to lock your door, I don't steal your silver, I do whatever you want me to do (even feed the fish!) BUT IT IS GONNA COST YOU', like, cash, check, paypal"
The vet set me up with my first dog sitting gig...now I have 4 regular jobs. It is easy to work on my pots before and after and around those gigs...and now I have finished hospice training Penny my therapy beagle and I go to the senior center AND hospice on Mondays...but what is NOT easy is seeing friends, which is furiously frustrating, you know? You wonder what is gonna drop out if you are taking care of your own house, a full-time potter and part-time pet sitter...it is the friends. Forget ever seeing them!
ANYWAY, Yogi the golden doodle sweetie lives near us. I am VERY glad that a) they are so close and b) we have a fenced yard and c) Penny and Yogi get along well because d) they loooooove to romp together in our yard, now that the weather is nice. So I can let the dogs play here then we can walk down the street too. Both dogs get pretty dang tired after all that...
AND I GET PAID FOR THIS? :)
(BTW, many of you will have read in the post a day or 2 ago that I entered a competition at Cooperstown Art Association, hundreds of artworks, who would be accepted??? Yesterday I got notice: I was accepted! Now they move onto the prize phase...and I am a candidate for a prize......fingers crossed!)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- when it goes up to 97 degrees you bring out the PE...
- fill in the blank: "when a loved one travels_____...
- 29 things I think are AWESOME!
- Time warp Tuesday: Petey and Penny!
- Sammy version 2.0
- so, like I was telling you, we climbed a mountain ...
- 4am, 500 miles, hundreds of feet....
- of cowboys, ponies and barns!
- remember mother's day?
- Time warp Tuesday: mother's edition!
- a tale of 2 vases....and mugs!
- if you want to piss off a cat...
- the prettiest puppies, pussycats, pottery and pota...
- beagles and back to busy business!
- busy business and raining cats and dogs....
- "Gary we have seen your elephant gear before" they...
- Time Warp Tuesday: LIFE AS AN EXTREMELY FAMOUS AT...
- Mother's day promises
- not as muddy as it could be, but more painful...an...
- the last minute SUB goes through hell week in one ...
- the kind of guy who...wears black socks with shorts?
- why we do this = how we sell it!
- comfort food and...pottery!
- time warp Tuesday and a MOP
- from cinco to May 6...
- C is for: comedic cat.... and Cinco de Mayo!
- when is ARBOR DAY anyhow????
- one couch and one cat
- antidote to a NIGHTMARE
- they PAY ME for this sh!t....
- ▼ May (30)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)