WRITE TO ME! email@example.com Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Sunday, May 26, 2013
so, like I was telling you, we climbed a mountain and other such adventures....
There are WARNINGS. They tell you repeatedly it is hazardous. It is also the MOST awesome mountain climb we have ever done, the MOST.
When we lived in New Hampshire and walked, we would count the spotted newts (the NH state amphibian!). We see them here around Ithaca, but not too often. We counted 12 or 13 on Friday.
Seriously, the fukking trail goes straight up this rocky MESS? Yes it does, for a LOOOOOONG ways....everything is well marked. BUT we got lost once. We turned back without, um, freaking out....
One view of the top. I am sitting on a point hanging over a sheer drop down to the valley of hundreds of feet. I love my dog, but she kept pulling me to the dang edge, it was terrifying. I sat down and grabbed her. GORGEOUS, huh? I set the camera on a rock and used the timer for a good shot of us all, south view, toward Great Barrington.
We THOUGHT we were done with the steep, narrow, treacherous trail....
...until it continued to ANOTHER peak, this view is north to Stockbridge. This is a tiny little saddle of rocks and as I told the wife as the wind whipped across "I am glad it is not colder, windier or wetter than it is, because this is good enough..." Yes, we were in the clouds....
When the wife was kid she lived in the west, but her grandparents moved from NYC north up the Hudson to a wee little town, with 2 rivers and waterfalls named Valatie, NY.
All that remains of the house is the barn that had been in back.
It was an incredible house, according to pictures. It burned down after the wife's family sold the place!
The house across the street gives you an idea of how !!!!!!!!!! this area is and what the houses on this hilltop look like....
Waterfalls in the village, that house hangs over them...
This is the street her granparents lived on, cute clock eh?
Frederic Church was one of the most famous painters ever in America, 150 years ago and even still. He made a fortune from his art and built the BIGGEST BADASS mansion you have ever seen in Hudson, NY, overlooking mountains and the Hudson River....what a place, especially with the flowers like this here in May.
I then dropped the wife at the train station in Hudson so she could go down to see her sisters in NYC. I had a 4 hour drive home alone with the beagle and the weather and traffic were horrible. We did fine. But there was a plane crash and I saw one of the worst truck accidents ever, which had just happened. The rain and visibility were like a bad snowstorm for a while, and it was nice to get away from Albany and clear sailing after that. I was at a truck stop and walking back to the car saw Penny waiting for me in the car. Later she was curled up asleep on the backseat. It occurs to you later that you damn well better drive carefully when somebody like that is relying on you.
What a great trip!
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- when it goes up to 97 degrees you bring out the PE...
- fill in the blank: "when a loved one travels_____...
- 29 things I think are AWESOME!
- Time warp Tuesday: Petey and Penny!
- Sammy version 2.0
- so, like I was telling you, we climbed a mountain ...
- 4am, 500 miles, hundreds of feet....
- of cowboys, ponies and barns!
- remember mother's day?
- Time warp Tuesday: mother's edition!
- a tale of 2 vases....and mugs!
- if you want to piss off a cat...
- the prettiest puppies, pussycats, pottery and pota...
- beagles and back to busy business!
- busy business and raining cats and dogs....
- "Gary we have seen your elephant gear before" they...
- Time Warp Tuesday: LIFE AS AN EXTREMELY FAMOUS AT...
- Mother's day promises
- not as muddy as it could be, but more painful...an...
- the last minute SUB goes through hell week in one ...
- the kind of guy who...wears black socks with shorts?
- why we do this = how we sell it!
- comfort food and...pottery!
- time warp Tuesday and a MOP
- from cinco to May 6...
- C is for: comedic cat.... and Cinco de Mayo!
- when is ARBOR DAY anyhow????
- one couch and one cat
- antidote to a NIGHTMARE
- they PAY ME for this sh!t....
- ▼ May (30)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)