WRITE TO ME! firstname.lastname@example.org Come see me! Open studio HERE! November 25-26 (11-4 each day); Aurora Art and Design, daily until 12/24; Cooperstown Art Assoc. daily until 12/24; Ellis Hollow Community Fair, 12/10; December 10, Little Red Wagon at the Space at Greenstar. All material on this blog unless stated otherwise is copyright Gary Edward Rith 2016
Monday, May 20, 2013
a tale of 2 vases....and mugs!
the wife saw the black one in progress and was like "OH! I love big and round pots!" and the one on the left is part of an ongoing ...what? Series? Quest? To make the perfect vase to give to the Quaker meeting we attend. Quakers are utterly plain in worship and meetinghouse decor. There was quite a bit of discussion amongst members about an offer to make and install a stained glass window in the new building, and it had to be put in the hallway because it was agreed that stained glass would not be right in the space for worship.
SO, I have made many sacred vessels before, for Lutheran and Episcopal communion and for Jewish services and Unitarians too. But what would you give Quakers? And a member suggested a flower vase. She happens to supply flowers from her garden some weeks, a small glass vase of which is the only color and decoration in the whole building.
What that means to me is that I am unexpectedly nervous about offering a gift to the meeting and having it rejected, as too fancy or....what? On the other hand, I am sure as heck making a LOT of these particular vases...trying to make one that seems perfect enough :)
Monkeying around with mug shapes and glazes too....
(new pottery by Gary Rith)
Me and Missus Tastycakes
ME, the TV interview :)
my etsy gallery
- ► 2016 (324)
- ► 2015 (358)
- ► 2014 (361)
- when it goes up to 97 degrees you bring out the PE...
- fill in the blank: "when a loved one travels_____...
- 29 things I think are AWESOME!
- Time warp Tuesday: Petey and Penny!
- Sammy version 2.0
- so, like I was telling you, we climbed a mountain ...
- 4am, 500 miles, hundreds of feet....
- of cowboys, ponies and barns!
- remember mother's day?
- Time warp Tuesday: mother's edition!
- a tale of 2 vases....and mugs!
- if you want to piss off a cat...
- the prettiest puppies, pussycats, pottery and pota...
- beagles and back to busy business!
- busy business and raining cats and dogs....
- "Gary we have seen your elephant gear before" they...
- Time Warp Tuesday: LIFE AS AN EXTREMELY FAMOUS AT...
- Mother's day promises
- not as muddy as it could be, but more painful...an...
- the last minute SUB goes through hell week in one ...
- the kind of guy who...wears black socks with shorts?
- why we do this = how we sell it!
- comfort food and...pottery!
- time warp Tuesday and a MOP
- from cinco to May 6...
- C is for: comedic cat.... and Cinco de Mayo!
- when is ARBOR DAY anyhow????
- one couch and one cat
- antidote to a NIGHTMARE
- they PAY ME for this sh!t....
- ▼ May (30)
- ► 2012 (416)
- ► 2011 (413)
- ► 2010 (616)